Looks like both the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD formats will be made compatible for reading AND burning by a single drive after all, at least based on a new technology by Ricoh which involves a "diffraction plate" this seems to be the case. I had a feeling this would happen eventually. A *BIG* thumbs up to Ricoh.
TOKYO - Trying to bridge the gap between next-generation optical disk formats, Ricoh said it has developed an optical component that reads and writes all disk formats-Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD, as well as DVD and CD-with one pickup and one objective lens.
Ricoh will show the optical device at the International Optoelectronics Exhibition '06 outside Tokyo on July 12-14. The company intends to offer the device to OEMs by year's end.
Last updated: Apr 6, 2020 at 09:02 pm CDT
- Xbox Series X: next-gen sound via dedicated chip and ray-traced audio
- Xbox Series X may be more powerful, but will third-party devs use it?
- How publishers will approach current-gen on PS5, Xbox Series X
- Xbox Series X's Smart Delivery may let you custom install games
- Next-gen console exclusives will be few and far between through 2021