UPDATE: Super Mario Run will only be timed exclusive on Apple's App Store, and will eventually come to Android platforms at an unspecific time.
Nintendo has announced that its first-ever real smartphone game will be exclusive to Apple's iOS platform.
In a surprise move, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto took the stage at Apple's iPhone 7 event to reveal Super Mario Run, a light Mario Bros. platformer built around collecting coins, for iOS devices. Interestingly enough you can actually play Super Mario Run one-handed, and the game looks pretty spiffy from what we've seen so far. Sadly, Super Mario Run will feature in-app purchases, so that means microtransactions.
Super Mario Run offers three different game modes:
- The first mode features challenging courses for you to complete.
- In the second mode, you challenge the play data of other people's completed courses. You compete to see who can finish the course with the most style!
- In the third mode, you can create your own Muschroom Kingdom using coins collected by playing the first two game modes.
Super Mario Run will be a paid game, and it'll launch Holiday 2016 exclusively on Apple's iOS.
- >> NEXT STORY: Apple announces Apple Watch Series 2
- << PREVIOUS STORY: DirectX 12 support coming to Deus Ex tomorrow