Sony's new higher-end 4K-ready PlayStation 4 "Neo" will cost $450 says a source inside the console's manufacturing facility.
Remember that Foxconn worker who sketched what Sony's PS4 "Neo" console looks like? After the sketches went viral, that same source is now back with even more potential info on one of the PS4K's most important aspects: cost. The employee says that the new upgraded PS4 will run 3,000 Chinese Yeun which equates to $450 USD, falling in line with accidentally-revealed Amazon console price listings.
Atul Goyal, managing director at investment banking firm Jefferies & Company, predicts that Sony's new PS4 "Neo" will cost $399. In Sony's official PS4K confirmation interview, Sony Interactive Entertainment President Andrew House said that the new "hardcore" PS4 would be "more expensive than the current $350 version."
However $50 doesn't seem enough of a cost bump to make a profit, especially give the requisite hardware in order to achieve the console's targeted performance specs, which include upscaled 4K gaming, native 1080p 60FPS, and enhanced PlayStation VR support.
Jefferies' Atul Goyal says PS4 Neo at $399 and PS4 Slim at $299. Thoughts?— Takashi Mochizuki (@mochi_wsj) August 31, 2016
According to alleged leaks, Sony's PS4 "Neo" sports a customized AMD Polaris GPU derived from the Polaris 10 Ellesmere chip used in AMD's Radeon RX 480 graphics cards, which run as low as $249. Of course Sony's high-end PS4 won't use a dedicated desktop-grade video card, so we can't equate this price (or the desktop card's performance) with the GPU used in the console--it's just a rough ballpark figure to give you an idea of how much the tech costs.
Sony will also have to tighten up and optimize other console hardware features, as well as design new optimum cooling features to accommodate the extra heat generated from 4K-ready components.
But why should we believe this leak ontop of all the others? Well, for one, Foxconn actually is manufacturing the new PlayStation 4. Foxconn is a Taiwanese manufacturing facility that makes pretty much all games consoles and a ton of other gadgets including handhelds and mobile phones. So if a worker says they know what a console looks like, there's a high probability they're right. But also remember to take this info with the proverbial salt-shaker.
In other PS4K news, the Foxconn worker also took the time to reveal new more console features and correct many mistakes made on mockups inspired from the console sketches. The PS4 "Neo" will have three different tiers "like a sandwich," says the worker, likely to help with heat dissipation. The console also weighs about 4.5kg (10 pounds), sports two USB ports in different crenellations, has a white PlayStation logo that possibly fluxes with color, a different kind of power plug, and a new arrangement of pulsing lights.
Sony will unveil its new higher-end PlayStation 4 during a special PlayStation Meeting event on September 7 that kicks off at 3PM EST.
Check below for a massive list of everything we know about the PlayStation 4 "Neo" so far, but remember that most of this info is based on rumors, speculation, reports and possible leaks and hasn't been officially verified:
Everything we know so far about the PlayStation 4K:
- CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6GHz
- GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800MHz (equivalent to Radeon HD 7850)
- Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s
PS4 NEO / PS4K
- CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1GHz
- GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911MHz (possibly built on heavily customized Polaris10 Ellesmere?)
- Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s
- PS4 Neo priced at $450, says inside source
- PS4 Neo design allegedly leaked by Foxconn worker
- PlayStation Neo sketched by Foxconn worker
- Sony's new PlayStation 4K costs $439, coming in October, says Amazon
- Leaked PS4 Neo slides from Sony reveal specs, 4K upscaling strategies
- PS4 Slim coming alongside PS4 Neo, reports claim
- PS4K is a PS4, won't shorten original console's life-cycle, says Sony
- Sony won't reveal PlayStation 4K at Gamescom, maybe at Tokyo Game Show
- Sony officially confirms new 4K-ready PlayStation 4K console
- PS4.5 would play Ultra HD Blu-ray, as well as 4K gaming and VR
- Sony's new PS4 sports 4K upscaling, upgraded CPU, GPU and RAM
- PlayStation 4K will launch before October 2016, says French wholesaler
- New PS4K info coming at TGS 2016, console reveal at Paris Games Week
- PlayStation 4K: Everything you need to know
- Sony's PlayStation Neo won't have exclusive games, shares PS4 library
- Could the PS4K be responsible for Sony's huge PS4 sales forecast?
- Sony's new PlayStation Neo is pissing off lots of developers
- PlayStation Neo games required to run at native 1080p minimum
- >> NEXT STORY: Microsoft Solitaire Collection on its way to mobile
- << PREVIOUS STORY: PS4 Neo design allegedly leaked by Foxconn worker