If you are reading this news post, you have reached TweakTown's brand new web server. It actually went into full production use around 12 hours ago, after we flicked over the DNS IP to the new server. We experienced a few issues after we switched, but most of the issues have been fixed now. There is still some server tuning to perform over the next few days which will really make TweakTown fly super fast.
There was nothing particularly wrong with our old server, it was, however, holding us back since we were using an old version of CentOS. The new server is running CentOS 7.2 64-bit, which allows us to use the latest versions of PHP, MariaDB (MySQL), Perl, and so on. This is important because it enables us to offer you the fastest and most reliable web experience that we can. The old server was powerful enough, but our new beast of a server rig is just something else!
- 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 CPUs (12 Cores @ 3.2GHz Turbo + Hyper-Threading
- 64GB DDR4 2133 ECC Registered Memory
- 4x 200GB Intel S3710 SSDs in RAID 10
- LSI MegaRAID 9361 RAID Controller
- Hot-Swappable SuperMicro Rackmount Chassis
- 1000Mbps Network Uplink
- LiteSpeed Enterprise Web Server [8 CPU License]
We would like to extend big thanks to our hosts WiredTree. We've been with this Chicago-based hosting company for quite some time now, and I'm totally happy to vouch for them. They went beyond the call of duty and snapped the above photos for us on request, and they are always helping us out with loads of different server requests promptly. We aren't being paid or discounted for mentioning WiredTree here; I just wanted to call them out because we're very happy with what they do for us.
Enjoy the new server, folks!
- >> NEXT STORY: Ubisoft reiterates that the 'PC is incredibly important to us'
- << PREVIOUS STORY: David Bowie's 'Labyrinth' getting ill-timed remake