NVIDIA's damn-powered Shield Tablet K1 has just received its shiny new Android 6.0 Marshmallow update, which includes a bunch of new stuff.
The update does warn about SD cards, with a note to "please make sure it is backed up first". One great thing about Android 6.0 is that it "adopts" your SD cards, detecting them as if they were part of your internal storage. NVIDIA says that there's a revamped camera UI with a more "material"-inspired theme and some new real-time image effects.
The company has also included some NVIDIA-inspired wallpapers, with Fallout Shelter also now preloaded onto the Shield Tablet K1.
Here's what to expect:
This update for SHIELD Tablet K1 upgrades the Operating System to Android version 6.0
NVIDIA SHIELD Camera
- New UI inspired by Material Design, improved burst photo functionality
- Adds new real-time HD Image Effects
Now on Tap
- Quickly find information related to what you are seeing on the screen, also from inside an app
MicroSD cards can be integrated with main internal storage, auto managed by system
User Interface Upgrades
- Personalize Home & Lock screens with different wallpapers, new NVIDIA wallpapers
- Personalize Quick Settings menu, add/remove, rearrange toggles
- Google Now voice commands can be launched from lock screen
Improved App Permissions
- Permissions are now managed centrally
- App Standby power improvements
- Improved BT Low Energy scanning power efficiency
System wide improvements including
- Monitor Memory Usage with detailed usage of each app
- Optimized preloaded apps
- Adds Fallout Shelter game
IMPORTANT: IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY USING A MICROSD CARD IN THIS SHIELD TABLET: In Android 6.0 there are changes to how expanded storage works. After this upgrade, there will be 2 ways to setup the MicroSD card, please read carefully.
Portable Storage: This option will not delete data from the SD card
Internal Storage: This option wipes all data from the SD card. If you are currently storing data the SD card, please make sure it is first backed up
NVIDIA recommends to back up the MicroSD card prior to downloading this update