Sony is preparing to release the PlayStation 4 in China, jumping into a fresh market that Microsoft has enjoyed to itself with the Xbox One game console. To prepare to be competitive when the additional competition arrives, Microsoft will offer an $80 price cut to ensure gamers remain interested in its console.
The Xbox One without Kinect launched in China for $600 and $694 with a Kinect unit. However, after the price drop, the unit will cost $517 without the Kinect and $614 with a Kinect. It will be curious to see if the price drop will be enough, as the PS4 will cost $468 immediately when it launches.
"As with many global products, specific pricing, promotions and offers vary by market," a Microsoft spokesperson told GameSpot regarding the price drop. "In China, Xbox is running a special promotion that began on Nov. 11, 2014."
Last updated: Apr 6, 2020 at 08:47 pm CDT
- Xbox Series X's Smart Delivery may let you custom install games
- PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X to be delayed past 2020, analyst predicts
- How publishers will approach current-gen on PS5, Xbox Series X
- Coronavirus may delay PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X launch past 2020
- China trade tariffs won't directly raise PS5, Xbox Series X prices
- > NEXT STORY: Apple's Steve Wozniak to become a Tassie Devil
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Arrow Gaming, an eSports team that cheated, now called 'We Are Sorry'