BlackBerry considering a move to leave handset market, CEO says

BlackBerry CEO John Chen looks ahead to try and transition the company away from handsets over the next two years, according to reports.

Published Thu, Apr 10 2014 4:20 PM CDT   |   Updated Mon, Oct 19 2020 8:15 PM CDT

Following an initial report from Reuters stating BlackBerry is looking to jump out of the handset market, BlackBerry CEO John Chen said that isn't the initial plan. Instead, the struggling smartphone maker wants to transition over the next two years to try and offset handset sales, which have been unable to keep up with the Apple iPhone and Google Android-powered devices from Samsung.

BlackBerry considering a move to leave handset market, CEO says | TweakTown.com

BlackBerry has a plan to try and return the company to profitability by the end of March 2016, though device sales last quarter dropped 77 percent year-over-year.

"I don't have a plan to get rid of handsets, I have a plan to not be dependent on handsets," Chen recently told the media. "All I need to do is replace the handset revenue, and this company will be very different."

Previously, the US government made an order for 80,000 BlackBerry units, then it was reported the White House is testing Android devices, though that was also refuted.

An experienced tech journalist and marketing specialist, Michael joins TweakTown looking to cover everything from consumer electronics to enterprise cloud technology. A former Staff Writer at DailyTech, Michael is now the West Coast News Editor and will contribute news stories on a daily basis. In addition to contributing here, Michael also runs his own tech blog, AlamedaTech.com, while he looks to remain busy in the tech world.

Related Tags

Newsletter Subscription
Latest News
View More News
Latest Reviews
View More Reviews
Latest Articles
View More Articles