This afternoon, Microsoft announced via Facebook that the Xbox One would allow self publishing of apps and games. The announcement says that every Xbox One can be used for development by anyone and everyone. We will not know more until Gamescon next month, but this announcement does point towards a consumer-level, easy entry development kit rather than using something like Visual Studio which almost requires 4 years of college to use efficiently.
Marc Whitten, Chief Product Officer for Xbox said:
Our vision is that every person can be a creator. That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox LIVE. This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox LIVE. We'll have more details on the program and the timeline at Gamescom in August.
Last updated: Nov 30, -0001 at 12:00 am CST
- Xbox Series X's Smart Delivery may let you custom install games
- Xbox Series X natively upgrades current-gen games to native 4K
- Xbox Series X SSD was custom built by Microsoft for speed, flexibility
- Xbox Series X games are 'unlike anything you've ever seen before'
- Xbox Series X may enhance Xbox 360, OG Xbox games too
- > NEXT STORY: FTC and Google come to terms in Motorola Mobility case
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Google launches Google Play Games, a new app that condenses social games into one place