BlackBerry has not made any attempt to hide the fact that its mobile messaging service, BlackBerry Messenger, will be coming to Android and iOS this summer. The company has, however, been quite tight lipped on when exactly BBM will launch on both platforms. In a recent interview, India's managing director for BlackBerry accidentally let a hint slip that September could be the official launch month for BBM on Android.
"The service is coming to Android this summer. But summer as per North America, where it remains till September," said Sunil Lalvani. He did not elaborate whether or not his claim actually meant it would arrive at the end of September nor did he make any mention of a release date for iOS.
Previously we were led to believe that BBM would make its Android and iOS debut sometime on or around June 27 but that date has obviously come and gone. BBM on iOS and Android could play a major role in companies who have multiple smartphones all running different operating systems but need a central form of mobile messaging. Some analysts say that it could once again become the de facto messaging service for professionals on the go.
Last updated: Nov 30, -0001 at 12:00 am CST
- You cannot use Messenger without signing up for a Facebook account
- So, BlackBerry has teamed with Damon Motorcycles for EV superbike
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080: August 2020 reveal, launch at Computex 2020
- AMD says it will have Zen 3 processors by March 2021, Zen 4 in 2022
- Instagram for PC gets Direct Messaging, still can't even upload images
- > NEXT STORY: Yahoo back-peddles on vow to keep adult content on Tumblr
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Apple releases software update for Macbook Air to fix issues with Wi-Fi