During a meeting with advertisers earlier this week, Google's Eric Schmidt said that YouTube has "crushed" the traditional television competition. Schmidt was of course alluding to the recent news that YouTube now has more than one billion unique visitors a month.
While most would be satisfied with a billion unique visitors every month, Schmidt is keeping his eye on the prize and holding out until YouTube launches in more third world countries. "Wait until you get to 6 or 7 billion," Schmidt said, according to the Associated Press. "It's not a replacement for something that we know. It's a new thing that we have to think about, to program, to curate and build new platforms."
Google's attack on mainstream television will take a step forward later this year when YouTube plans to begin offering select partners the option to begin charging users to view their content, in addition to offering episodic programming and pay-per-view events. "TV is one-way, but YouTube talks back," said YouTube's global head of content, Robert Kyncl.
- > NEXT STORY: RumorTT: Next-gen Xbox will charge $15 per month for optional subscription
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Microsoft sends out invites for Xbox E3 event, scheduled for June 10