Eric Schmidt has said that the total number of Android activations are set to cross the one billion threshold in "six to nine months." Currently, Android devices are being activated at the rate of about 1.5 million per day, an impressive rate that will likely continue to increase as more developing markets start demanding smartphones.
"Android is by far the primary vehicle by which people are going to see smartphones," Schmidt said.
Schmidt remained somewhat secretive about future Android plans. In regards to the promotion of Sundar Pichai, he added, "Don't confuse organization design and product design." In other words, don't have your heart set on Chrome OS and Android OS becoming one in the same.
A total of one billion Android device activations is quite the accomplishment. It goes to show how popular the Android platform is and how it helps to have an operating system that can be used across a wide range of devices, much like Windows.
Last updated: Nov 30, -0001 at 12:00 am CST
- Nintendo made $1.23 billion in profit over holiday 2019 quarter
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080: August 2020 reveal, launch at Computex 2020
- Take-Two earnings slip 25%, but microtransactions and digital are up
- Stardew Valley creator working on two new projects
- PS4 sales break 100 million, PS Plus subscribers at record high
- > NEXT STORY: WhatsApp brags that they are bigger than Twitter, now boasts more than 200M users
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Microsoft Exec: Microsoft has no plans to launch a Surface Phone