Cake smashes at kids birthday parties look so awesome. My daughter turns one in March next year and we're going to have one. I'm so excited. Why didn't Sony do this with the 5-year anniversary of the PS3? A giant PS3 cake and have various devs and management smash it up. I need to work for their PR department, ha. This week is definitely the week of anniversaries and birthdays! First up we had the Xbox's 10-year anniversary, and Intel's 40-year anniversary of their first microprocessor, the Intel 4004. Today, Sony stands on the podium with the PlayStation 3 turning five today.
Five years since the PlayStation 3 launch. I still remember the pre-launch buzz, dual-HDMI, 1080p, this, that. Then it launched and people were selling PS3 consoles on eBay for ridiculous prices, or selling just the empty box and getting suckers to purchase it in the craze of the launch.
The PS3 did launch before this day five years ago, but in Japan. Today marks the release in the US. The PS3 ushered in some truly great things to the gaming world, it pushed forth today's standard for high-definition video, Blu-Ray. It introduced the great Sixaxis controller, introduced Move to the world, 3D is now available on it, great titles such as the Uncharted series and Killzone.
The PlayStation blog has a bunch of developers with their favourite games ranging from Heavy Rain to Portal 2. Check it out.
Last updated: Dec 6, 2019 at 02:46 pm CST
- PlayStation 5's SSD may revolutionize save states with instant launch
- Game devs: Xbox Series X isn't significantly more powerful than PS5
- PS5 won't play PS1, PS2 or PS3 discs, 100 PS4 games support at launch
- PS5's boost mode is so powerful that some PS4 games can't handle it
- Sony's PS5 talk wasn't enough--for next-gen, seeing is believing
- > NEXT STORY: More Apple iPhone 4S dramas, 'No SIM card installed' messages now appearing for some
- < PREVIOUS STORY: New Skype release on both Mac and Windows allows Facebook-to-Facebook calling