The first thing you need to know is MTU, which stands for Maximum Transmission Unit. It is the maximum packet size, in bytes, that can be transmitted across a link. The MTU determines the size of your packets, so if it is too small, your computer will be responding often. If it is too big, errors will cause each packet to be resent. What we need to do is find your maximum MTU which does NOT return a fragment message such as the below screenshot. In a minute I will talk about which is the maximum MTU size for different types of connections you want to set at!
Typically, all cable modem connections should be set to 1500 MTU, while DSL connections can vary. For example, ADSL PPPOE needs to be set at 1492, while ADSL STATIC needs to be set at 1500. Any other type of DSL connection should use an MTU of 1500, just like cable modem. Confused? Well I will make it easier for you.
ADSL PPPOE = 1492 MTU
ADSL STATIC IP = 1500 MTU
SDSL = 1500
VDSL = 1500
HDSL = 1500
IDSL = 1500
CABLE = 1500
Now you are wondering "How the heck am I going to "change" my MTU?" Well that step is through the registry, or a simple to use program called Dr. TCP - Click here to download Dr.TCP.
When you have downloaded Dr. TCP, run it. This program may seem confusing but it does wonders. Take a look at the screenshot below. Tab to the maxmtu field and delete the current number that may be shown. Then type in the specific MTU that is for your connection, example: 1500, for ADSL static IP.
Note: Those people who are behind an ADSL PPPOE connection, know that even if you do set your MTU to 1492, Windows will limit you to 1454. How can you still set it at 1492 without windows limiting it? Read the instructions below carefully in setting your MTU to 1492 in Windows 9x. This is a 3 step plan so follow carefully. These instructions are for Winpoet users. Please scroll down for Ethernet users. Winpoet, Ethernet, and RASPPPOE are software that connects your ADSL PPPOE or PPPOA connection to the Internet. Your ISP requires you to use it.
PPPoE stands for Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet
PPPoA stands for Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM
For Winpoet v2.x+
We see WinPoet with MTUs at 1362, 1454 and 1462. Ideally, they should be 1492. This is a 3 step process to get them up to 1492. Please do 1 step at a time, and make sure that what should happen, does. After step 1, MTU should be 1454, regardless of if it was 1362, or 1462 prior to.
To be sure that the adapters and otherwise are set to default and prepared well for what is to come, do this first:
Open Dr.TCP. Using the drop-down menu in DR. TCP, set your basic dial-up adapter (usually simply named "Dial-up adapter") to 1492. Set any other dial-ups to 0, and clear (blank) any value showing for NICs (Ethernet adapters). Tab to Apply and click it, Exit, re-boot, re-test, re-post.
If MTU is now 1454 (if not, find out why), move on to step #2
Note: Your MTU should now be 1454 (not 1492) which is fine. (If yours was 1362, then this is very good.)
Here is a new tweak just for WinPoet. It allows the user to break that 1454 barrier. Go to Start/Run, and type in "regedit" (no quotes), click OK, then click down through here:
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Scooby-Doo's 'Shaggy' added to JUMP FORCE roster by modder
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 'Joker' stage title 'Mementos'
- Guild Wars 2 developers prep for lay-offs and restructuring
- Nintendo Switch could feature Xbox Games Pass by end of 2019
- Did Blizzard just tease the 30th hero for Overwatch?
- MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti GAMING X & VENTUS XS Review
- Intrusive Ads on Tweaktown
- AxE: Alliance vs Empire preview: MMO mobile chaos
- random shutdown
- Kensington LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dock Review
- Realms of Arkania - Star Trail available for Xbox One
- Death Mark Coming Soon to Terrify Players on Steam
- The Way Remastered Reaches Top of Nintendo eShop EU Charts
- Batman: Arkham City for macOS updated to 64-bit
- Drop into TERA x PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Collaboration on March 5