Internet Firewalls: Software
So you are asking what a firewall is, right? Here is a brief description of a firewall. A firewall ABSOLUTELY ISOLATES your computer from the Internet using a "wall of code" that inspects each individual "packet" of data as it arrives at either side of the firewall - inbound to or outbound from your computer - to determine whether it should be allowed to pass or be blocked. The user of course controls this. Remember that there is no perfect firewall! One of the TOP firewall solutions is a Linux firewall, where a separate PC which shares an Internet connection and separates a network from the Internet and the network by a firewall. Linux firewalls are superb firewalls but are hard to setup for many Windows users, because of the general complexity.
In an unsorted order, here are some firewalls that I rated from personal experience and rating from other sources, recommendations, and use.
McAfee Firewall - Make sure you update to the latest version to address small issues seen in previous versions. 3.8/5
Sygate Personal FW (FREE) - Free for personal use. Still, customizing the firewall isn't easy and really available. Consider updates if you will be installing it or use latest version. 3.5/5
Symantec / Norton - Make sure you update to the latest version to address small issues seen in previous versions. Norton had an automatic rule creation on in the previous versions, and that was a real bad idea. Many issues are now addressed in the newer versions. 3.5/5
Tiny Personal FW (FREE) - Real excellent free personal firewall. Use this firewall if you are more technically orientated and want total customization of a firewall. Very highly recommended for knowledgeable individuals. 5/5
Zone Alarm (Free) & Pro (Not free) - Good 'out of the box' protection and simple setup. Firewall is not as customizable as Tiny Personal FW, but Zonealarm is very widely known. 4.5/5
In unsorted, here are some firewalls that I do NOT recommend at all for use. Personal experience and reviews showed me that these are not for anyone's use who wants a secure network.
BlackICE Defender (Not a firewall, but a program to monitor traffic)
Conseal PC FW
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Internet Security & Firewalls - Page 1
- Internet Security & Firewalls - Page 2
- Internet Security & Firewalls - Page 3
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SEGA teases upcoming Sonic Racing game information
- Intel's new Coffee Lake-based 8C/16T chip spotted again
- GeForce GTX 1050 3GB released: 768 CUDA cores, 96-bit bus
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 locked at 60FPS on all consoles
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 in 2019 with single-player
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $1,595
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,595
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit