SuperO Booster, Results, and VRM Thermal Testing
SuperOBooster works well on this new motherboard, and it offers some basic profiles including "Normal Mode", "OC Mode", and "Auto Tuning".
The CPU menu allows you to change the CPU Ratio on-the-fly, and if you want to change all the ratios at the same time you should increase the last core. If you want to reduce all ratios at the same time you need to reduce the first one. We can also see monitoring of the CPU, as well as options to set VCore and Turbo Mode/EIST. Don't disable EIST.
The Voltage Menu is where you can set voltages, and it's also where you can monitor the CPU Input Voltage "SVID/VccIN(VCPU)", I couldn't find another place where you can monitor it. You can change the voltages and LLC on-the-fly.
You can also change timings and set frequency/XMP, but those will require a reboot.
Here we can see some of the results, this is a quick overclock check using Handbrake to transcode a large 4K video. It uses AVX and puts a decent load on the CPU. However, if you want to test CPU stability 100% you should use a program such as Prime95 and run it for many hours, some people run it for days. I would make sure your temperatures don't go over 80C, and try to use as little VCore as possible.
Here we can see how the VRM temperature is during an overclock compared to a competitor board in the same price range. All tests have been standardized as much as possible. The performance of the VRM is stellar. I ran 20 loops of IntelBurnTest at 4.4GHz, which enables AVX units at 4.4GHz and I lined up the timing enough so you can see that the temperatures drop at the same time once the test finishes. To keep VRMs simulated real-world and not worst-case scenario, we had a 120mm fan blowing in the general direction of the VRM area.
The temperature readings are of the hottest and coldest spots on the screen, and there is a rough scale on the left of each screen. Ambient temperature was roughly the same (23-24C). At its peak the Supermicro board tops out at 42C while the competitor board goes to 50C, which is roughly 19% higher at the hottest spot (which is what is measured). If you are wondering why the competitor board has a colder area over the VRM heat sink, it is because it uses some plastic on top that doesn't absorb heat like the metal in the heat sink.
The competitor board went from 33C at idle to 50C at load, which is a 17C increase. The Supermicro motherboard went from 29C idle to 42C load, which is a 13C increase. Even with 50% less VRM power stages the Supermicro motherboard does quite well versus the competitor board. If you have questions or comments regarding overclocking this motherboard, please feel free to email us directly.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction to Overclocking and the Basics]
- Page 2 [Disclaimer and Before You Begin Overclocking]
- Page 3 [CPU Core Setup]
- Page 4 [Voltages, Mesh, and DRAM Overclocking]
- Page 5 [SuperO Booster, Results, and VRM Thermal Testing]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI's new MEG 390 GODLIKE motherboard leaked, looks awesome
- Death Stranding's bizarre new trailer is darkly enchanting
- Square Enix to double down on service games
- Nintendo 64 Classic Edition likely on the way
- Anthem's early play trials are paygated
- EP2C602 wont post
- صيانة كريازى مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجة كريازى الت
- صيانة جنرال اليكتريك مصر 0235700994 | توكيل ثلاجات ج
- صيانة كلفينيتور مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجات كلفين
- Battery Issue
- Kensington Unveils LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Dock with K-Fob Smart Lock
- Crashbots is coming to Steam on the 9th of October!
- Linksys Launches High Performance, Enterprise-grade Cloud Networking Management For SMB Networks Without Licensing Fees
- BIOSTAR Presents Professional Crypto Mining Motherboards
- Animoca Brands partners with OpenST Limited to develop blockchain-powered games