Disclaimer Overclocking your CPU technically voids your warranty. However, if you want to overclock and still be covered, Intel does provide an aftermarket overclocking warranty here: (PTPP). Overclocking can also damage your CPU, especially if done incorrectly. This guide is about how to overclock, but doesn't take responsibility for damages that could occur; you bare sole responsibility for any damages that may arise. The price of the PTPP ranges from as low as $69 for the 7800X to $150 for the 7980XE.
Have you Overclocked Before?
If you have overclocked before and understand hardware selection and the basics of overclocking, you should skip to the next page. The first part of this guide is for those who want to know what to do before overclocking.
Where do I start?
Supermicro X299 Overclocking Guide Overclocking Guide Systems
CPU: You will need a "K-SKU" CPU, but all Intel Supermicro X299 Overclocking Guide CPUs are X-SKUs which is basically the same thing. The guide does not cover Kaby Lake-X CPUs, as they are different.
Motherboard: Supermicro X299 motherboards are covered here.
DRAM: While we still recommend buying a kit off the Qualified Vendors List (QVL), up to 3600MHz is a good target for easy stability, and you should take advantage of quad channel memory and buy a kit with four or eight sticks.
Cooler: High-end air coolers might be okay, but we recommend at least a 240mm all-in-one watercooler. Custom watercooling is best, but it might be complicated for many.
PSU: I would leave about 400-500W aside for a nice overclock on an 7980XE, and maybe 200-300W for a 7900X.
You enter the BIOS/UEFI by hitting delete once you see the splash screen or when you see the keyboard receive power. To save and exit you press F4.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction to Overclocking and the Basics]
- Page 2 [Disclaimer and Before You Begin Overclocking]
- Page 3 [CPU Core Setup]
- Page 4 [Voltages, Mesh, and DRAM Overclocking]
- Page 5 [SuperO Booster, Results, and VRM Thermal Testing]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem's new patch adds replayable missions, tweaks loot
- NVIDIA better celebrate 4/20 with GeForce 420.00 drivers
- Like Twin Peaks and X-Files? Check out Remedy's Control
- Why EA is firing 350 employees: it's all about business
- Hitman 2 'Expansion Pass' update adds DX12 support, March 26
- Fan xpert 4 resets at every restart
- H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh
- H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh
- The Division 2 Benchmarked: 20 Graphics Cards Tested
- MSI MEG X399 CREATION (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- Dead Cells New, Free DLC 'Rise of the Giant' Animated Trailer Showcases All New Ways to Die in Dead Cells
- Morel Audio releases Hogtalare Speaker System
- Introducing New Streaming Bundles From BLD by NZXT
- Stylish Turn Based RPG Grimshade out today on Steam
- Othercide Reveals New Gameplay Trailer