Other Considerations and Stability Testing
The overclock above was quite easy to achieve and resulted in big gains in regards to overclocking. 4GHz on the CPU core, 1500Mhz on the GPU core, and 3200Mhz on memory is a good solid overclock that doesn't require too much in regards to voltages. However, each chip is different.
Prime 95 and FurMark are pretty much some of the most intense stability testing programs on the market. So much, that Furmark has a warning about damaging your GPU and people have seen their CPUs degrade from prolonged Prime95 testing. There are many other stability testing programs you can use that might not be as intense, or you can just try playing your favorite games and see if you encounter any issues.
On this platform, I wanted to mention that you should definitely overclock the memory if you feel comfortable doing so. The Infinity Fabric speed runs at the same speed as your system memory, which is how CCXs communicate (not a concern here b/c of only one CCX), but it's also how the iGPU and CPU communicate. The Zen core and Vega graphics benefit in regards to communication when you OC the memory.
We know that AMD's mobile APUs use Synergistic Power Rail sharing, where the CPU and iGPU share a voltage regulator. However, when we test under a thermal camera, we find that the SoC VRMs light up during gaming but stay pretty much silent during CPU-only testing. We will leave you with a thought; if you want to overclock your iGPU and CPU with ease, make sure that your motherboard has a solid SoC VRM as well as a solid CPU VRM.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
- Page 1 [Introduction to Overclocking and Flow Chart]
- Page 2 [Disclaimer and Before You Begin Overclocking]
- Page 3 [CPU Multiplier and Voltages]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Resident Evil 2 remake PC requirements announced
- Gears of War 5 on PC scales incredibly well, up to 120FPS
- Red Dead Redemption 2 may come to PC
- Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-KEY Global, just $12.32
- Nintendo and Microsoft take a 'cross-play' jab at Sony
- Best SSD For Gaming: Over 120 SSDs Tested!
- Vampyr Review: Bloody Rare
- ASROCK X370 and MB STICKS
- Aten Thunderbolt 3 Multiport Dock
- Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit