So, you need to reinstall or install Windows on a new hard drive or computer? Perhaps you've had an error you don't know how to fix, you just got a new computer with no operating system or some sort of computer support person told you it was a good idea.
Regardless of why you need to install, you do need to install. Unfortunately, you haven't the slightest clue as to what you're doing - or you do, but want to learn a bit more. You might not be sure what to do just to install; you might not know what to do afterwards; you might even think you know what to do, but you want to be sure. You've come to the right place, it's our complete beginners guide to install Windows (XP and below).
In the next lot of pages, you'll learn to properly reformat a hard drive, install Windows, install drivers, configure Windows and install programs for maximum safety and finally, to tweak Windows settings to gain the maximum achievable performance your computer can get.
The steps described will be geared specifically for Windows 2000/XP, but will work with all versions of Windows unless it is specifically noted or implied otherwise. If you are fairly computer-literate, and to an extent you know what you're doing, feel free to skip some parts as we are catering for the newbie. Some parts will teach you nothing, whilst others will be of great value if they contain information you didn't know.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Formatting, Partitioning and Windows Installation]
- Page 3 [Recommended Setup]
- Page 4 [Drivers]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlefield 1's Operation Campaigns are now FREE
- LG's G7 development halted, LG starting over from scratch
- Super Meat Boy is a success on Switch
- Final Fantasy XV on PC will support mods
- Final Fantasy XV PC specs, release date announced
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Bios Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming test 8700K
- Which chip Is my main bios chip ( Gigabyte P17F Notebook )
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series