So, you need to reinstall or install Windows on a new hard drive or computer? Perhaps you've had an error you don't know how to fix, you just got a new computer with no operating system or some sort of computer support person told you it was a good idea.
Regardless of why you need to install, you do need to install. Unfortunately, you haven't the slightest clue as to what you're doing - or you do, but want to learn a bit more. You might not be sure what to do just to install; you might not know what to do afterwards; you might even think you know what to do, but you want to be sure. You've come to the right place, it's our complete beginners guide to install Windows (XP and below).
In the next lot of pages, you'll learn to properly reformat a hard drive, install Windows, install drivers, configure Windows and install programs for maximum safety and finally, to tweak Windows settings to gain the maximum achievable performance your computer can get.
The steps described will be geared specifically for Windows 2000/XP, but will work with all versions of Windows unless it is specifically noted or implied otherwise. If you are fairly computer-literate, and to an extent you know what you're doing, feel free to skip some parts as we are catering for the newbie. Some parts will teach you nothing, whilst others will be of great value if they contain information you didn't know.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Formatting, Partitioning and Windows Installation]
- Page 3 [Recommended Setup]
- Page 4 [Drivers]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Roar for 'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' Blu-ray giveaway
- MyDigtialSSD ships BPX Pro and lowers prices
- PlayStation Classic: Sony can't prevent hacking with patches
- Devil May Cry 5 has optional microtransactions
- Don't walk - run for our 'Walking Dead' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Battery Issue
- Crucial BX500 SSD Review - Fewer Components, Lower Prices
- Laptop won't turn on after battery died
- For Sale [5Pieces] Apple iPhone Xs/Xs Max 64GB New $3,995CAD
- ASUS Garage Mod AIO Gaming Rig: 8700K TITAN X 3440x1440
- Kensington Unveils LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Dock with K-Fob Smart Lock
- Crashbots is coming to Steam on the 9th of October!
- Linksys Launches High Performance, Enterprise-grade Cloud Networking Management For SMB Networks Without Licensing Fees
- BIOSTAR Presents Professional Crypto Mining Motherboards
- Animoca Brands partners with OpenST Limited to develop blockchain-powered games