CPU and Memory Overclocking
The video below describes the steps necessary to achieve a simple 5Ghz overclock with XMP using the SuperO Booster application.
The SuperO Booster is currently only offered on their Z270 chipset motherboards but will be available on their X299 offerings when those motherboards are released. The first thing you want to do is pick your battle. I highly recommend overclocking your CPU first and then moving on to memory overclocking. That is particularly the case with the Z270 platform, where memory and CPU overclocking don't really interfere with each other.
I would start at 1.3v VCore ("VCPU(V)") and 4.8GHz on all cores. Most 7600Ks and 7700Ks reach their maximum stable frequency around 1.3v with a decent cooler, but sometimes there is a little wiggle room. The CPU's temperature will be your limiting factor. You will probably have to manually set LLC too, but I will talk about that later down in the guide.
The SuperO Booster allows for per-core overclocking or all cores at once. To save time, you can drag the bottom slider on the 4th active core to an overclocked multiplier; I would start at 47x or 48x. You can overclock with BCLK as well, but most people just prefer multiplier based overclocking as it's simple and easy. You need to leave EIST and Turbo Mode enabled if you want your CPU to overclock. If you want your CPU to almost always run at maximum frequency, you need to change your Windows Power Plan to "High Performance." You might also want to raise your CPU Warning Temp to 80C, and you can also increase your VCore (VCPU), or wait until we reach the voltage page.
You can also apply different overclocks to different cores, meaning you can run two cores at 49x and two at 50x if that helps with stability. Once you "Apply" the CPU multiplier, the effects will happen in real-time, so don't hit apply unless you have already increased your VCore (VCPU). If the system is totally unstable, the motherboard will reboot and reset your settings. If you find your overclock is unstable then you need to tweak voltages, but you also have one other weapon; Load Line Calibration (LLC).
LLC will reduce voltage drop under load. For example, if I set 1.3v, I might get 1.3v at idle, but when I apply a load, the VCore voltage will drop in proportion to that load, perhaps as low as 1.22v. LLC reduces or reverses this voltage drop, and greatly helps with stability when overclocking. The SuperO Booster application offers LLC levels 1-7 as well as Disable and Auto modes. Level 1 is the strongest and will result in the voltage actually increasing under load. Level 2 offers a slight minimal drop in VCore, and the drop gets larger as you get closer to level 7. I recommend Level 2 or 3.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introducing the SuperO Booster Application]
- Page 2 [Software Walkthrough and BIOS Update]
- Page 3 [CPU and Memory Overclocking]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ex-BioWare boss wants to revitalize RPGs
- GTA 6 microtransactions likely, should follow GTA Online
- PUBG Corp made $920 million in 2018, 85% of cash from PC
- Take-Two CEO gets bonuses based on microtransaction earnings
- YouTuber makes working PC out of lasagna
- B450 Aorus Elite won't recognize Windows USB stick.
- [H270M-ITX/ac] Cannot POST with PCIE NIC card
- NVMe NAS Cache: Higher Speed or More Capacity?
- Scythe Kaze Flex 120 RGB Fan Review
- Synology DS1019 NAS Review
- Cooperative Level-Building Platformer Levelhead Launches into Steam Early Access Today
- Epic Games announce Fortnite World Cup - Creative!
- JUMP FORCE DLC Character Lineup Announced By Bandai Namco Entertainment America
- A New Hero Class Lays Track in Torchlight Frontiers - Meet The Railmaster!
- Plague Inc: Armageddon, the first expansion to Plague Inc: The Board Game, is now live on Kickstarter!