GIGABYTE's Z170X-SOC Force also has a legacy, and its orange and black color theme is unique. Surprisingly red accessories match the orange of the board, especially when inside a case. The Z170X-SOC Force was used for CPU and voltage scaling tests. GIGABYTE has a video OC guide here.
The GIGABYTE Z170X-SOC Force has the most buttons located on a motherboard for overclocking. The amount of overclocking features is quite intense, and most of them are targeted towards making overclocking quicker and easier. All of the overclocking features are neatly located in the area near the memory except their SOC Link feature, which allows a tethered device to remotely overclock the system.
The Z170X-SOC Force is also one of a handful of Z170 motherboards with a PLX bridge for 3-way and 4-way SLI, so it's great for 3D benchmarking with three or four GPUs. GIGABYTE's OC Ignition feature allows for power to be applied without actually turning on the CPU or PCH so that users can run power to fans and PSU connected devices (like water pumps). More information can be found here.
GIGABYTE's LLC is very good, the difference between idle and load is almost zero at certain LLC and voltage levels.
BIOS Special OC Profiles
GIGABYTE does provide some profiles for air and water overclocking depending on the CPU installed.
GIGABYTE does not have specific memory OC profiles, but their Memory Enhancement Settings do make a difference, especially the new "Relax OC" setting that greatly improves DDR4 margins by maxing out timings. Interestingly enough GIGABYTE has provided IMC timings and other usually hidden features.
BIOS Power Savings
GIGABYTE's Turbo, EIST, and C-State options are available on a single page, you can disable the power states in GIGABYTE's BIOS and still maintain an overclock in Windows, and of course you can set your power plan to "High Performance" in Windows control panel under power options.
BIOS PWM Options
GIGABYTE's offers PWM setting as well; over voltage protection, over current protection, switching frequency, and phase control are present. I did not have to change any of these, in fact, I think auto rules do change some of them on-the-fly. If you do run into shutdown during heavy loads, then you should try increasing over current protection and perhaps set PWM phase control to extreme performance.
GIGABYTE's EasyTune provides the novice with auto overclocking and preset profiles. GIGABYTE's TweakLauncher is provided on this platform for on-the-fly lightweight in-Windows overclocking.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction to Skylake Overclocking]
- Page 2 [Disclaimer and Before You Begin Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Overclocking Flow Chart, Non-K SKUs, BCLK, and Multipliers]
- Page 4 [BCLK, Core, Cache, Memory, and FCLK Scaling]
- Page 5 [Skylake Overclocking Voltages]
- Page 6 [Power Savings and Voltage/Power Analysis]
- Page 7 [The Durability of Intel's 14nm Node]
- Page 8 [Skylake Memory Overclocking: Corsair and Frequency Scaling]
- Page 9 [Skylake Memory Overclocking: G.Skill and Memory Timings]
- Page 10 [ASRock Z170 Overclocking: Z170 OC Formula]
- Page 11 [ASUS Z170 Overclocking: Maximus VIII Extreme]
- Page 12 [EVGA Z170 Overclocking: Z170 Classified 4-Way]
- Page 13 [GIGABYTE Z170 Overclocking: Z170X-SOC Force]
- Page 14 [MSI Z170 Overclocking: Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION]
- Page 15 [Stability Testing, Delidding, Crashing, and Throttling]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo shows off most downloaded eShop games
- Battlefield 1: Apocalypse DLC details aerial dogfights
- Nintendo Switch sells 1.5 million units last month
- Epic Games doubts the success of their own MOBA Paragon
- Age of Empires: Definitive Edition will release next month
- GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- The GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- noblechairs ICON Series Real Leather Gaming Chair Review
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Realtek sound not working all of a sudden
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series