5. Optimising Morrowind Settings
The resolution in Morrowind doesn't play a major part in performance. I compared the three resolutions from 1024x768 to 1600x1200 and performance was almost identical in my case. In particular, any resolution from 1024x768 upwards shows almost no difference in framerates, so choose a higher resolution (if your monitor supports it) to achieve a smoother picture - instead of running Anti-aliasing (FSAA) for example, which will show a small performance hit. NVNews recently did a "Benchmark" of Morrowind at different resolutions and came up with the same conclusion.
- Real Time Shadows
Real Time Shadows are only cast by people and creatures. Turn off Real Time Shadows completely (slide to full left) for a noticeable performance improvement. Most of the time they're cast badly and sometimes you can see shadows of people or creatures a level above you through the floor, which can be a bit of a "cheat". In any case, turn them off and you'll still have all the lighting effects such as torchlight on people, light shining on your blade and armour, etc.
- View Distance
The View Distance determines how far you can see. The lower the setting, the more "fog" you walk around in on a sunny day. Keep the View Distance at a reasonable length. However, you will get a noticeable decrease in fps if you set it above 80%, and any lower than around 50% and you're wandering around in fog all the time. I have mine at 80% and I would recommend it as a good balance of realistic viewing and performance.
- Gamma Correction
Keep the Gamma Correction low to avoid that washed out look. Halfway or just a bit below is best. Also, set your monitor's Contrast to 100% and reduce your monitor's brightness (on mine around 70) for crisper pictures without blasting your eyes. The right brightness and contrast really brings out the colours in Morrowind.
For nVidia based graphics card owners who have the newer Nvidia Detonators installed, go to Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>Color Correction and set Digital Vibrance to Low or Medium to dramatically improve in-game and desktop colours. Then tick Automatically Apply These Settings At Startup.
- AI Distance
Set the AI distance lower for better fps, without any impact on image quality. Mine is set at 50%, but you can lower this if you need the extra fps. Try to keep it above 25% for some realism.
- Pixel Shaders (GeForce3 and above, but not GeForce4 MX)
If you have a GeForce3 or above, turn Pixel Shaders on for spectacular water effects. This is done by double clicking the Morrowind icon, and in the initial launcher menu, selecting Options. If the option for Pixel Shading is grayed out then your graphics card doesn't support this feature, as it's a hardware-based feature, there's no "software hack" to enable it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Morrowind Tweak Guide - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Morrowind Tweak Guide - Page 2 [BASIC MORROWIND OPTIMISATION]
- Morrowind Tweak Guide - Page 3 [Morrowind "No CD" Patch]
- Morrowind Tweak Guide - Page 4 [Optimising Morrowind Settings]
- Morrowind Tweak Guide - Page 5 [ADVANCED MORROWIND TWEAKS/TROUBLESHOOTING]
- Morrowind Tweak Guide - Page 6 [Morrowind Game Engine]
- Morrowind Tweak Guide - Page 7 [WINDOWS-SPECIFIC TWEAKS/OPTIMISATIONS]
- Morrowind Tweak Guide - Page 8 [Hard Drive Optimisation]
- Morrowind Tweak Guide - Page 9 [Graphics Card Optimisation]
- Morrowind Tweak Guide - Page 10 [Optimal BIOS Settings]
- Morrowind Tweak Guide - Page 11 [Overclocking and Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Naughty Dogs Uncharted series hits new record high in sales
- Marvel writer hired for Netflix's Witcher show
- Secretlab temporarily slash $191 off TITAN Temp gaming chair
- Ready Player One's first full trailer is here
- Netflix: 1 billion hours streamed content PER WEEK in 2017
- 2 GPU on AB350 Gaming K4
- Mantiz Venus MZ-02 Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Enclosure Review
- Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 - Which M.2 socket should I use
- MSI Z170A PC Mate Unlock NVRAM
- LaCie 2Big Dock Thunderbolt 3 20TB External HDD Review
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series