- Soyo P4 Fire Dragon
Since we recommended a P4 processor, we obviously need a motherboard to suit. I've chosen the Fire Dragon because of its very long list of features, its excellent performance, and its excellent overclockability. The motherboard is running on the Intel 845 DDR chipset (i845D), which is a very competent competitor to the i850 running RDRAM.
The board itself includes 6 PCI slots, AGP Pro slot, 2 DIMM sockets, 4 USB ports (no USB 2.0 support though), a 100Mbit Ethernet controller, 2 Firewire ports onboard (it's called the Fire Dragon because of the Firewire ports), a Highpoint IDE RAID controller that supports ATA133 and RAID 0, 1, and 0+1, 5 fan headers with monitoring software, and an integrated 6 channel audio chip. In the box you also get four 80 pin ATA cables, drivers, manual and a chip card/reader. The PC will only boot if the chip card is inserted into the reader. A nifty security function, but it may get very annoying.
That a very nice list of features! The performance of this board matches its list of features. In benchmarks it is beating the Abit BD7, which itself is an excellent board. In many benchmarks this board comes out on top of every other board tested, whether they be using the same chipset or a different one. The overclocking ability of the card is also excellent. The BIOS is made by Award and contains the usual list of tweaks, including DIMM, AGP and CPU voltages, RAM tweaks and FSB overclocking in 1MHz increments from 100MHz to 250MHz FSB.
To cap it all off, US$5 from every sale of the board goes to the Red Cross to help families of September 11 victims.
- Find the best price on Soyo P4 Fire Dragon!
- EPoX 8KA3/8KA3+
This board is based on the relatively new KT333 chipset from VIA. The KT333 chipset is an evolution of the KT266A chipset, and it adds DDR 333 memory support. The market isn't as flooded as the KT266A market, but there are still quite a few boards to choose from.
The EPoX 8KA3/+ (+ signifies RAID) was chosen because of its reasonable amount of features, strong performance and good overclocking ability. The board contains 3 DIMM Sockets that support DDR 333 RAM (PC2700), an AGP 4x slot, 6 PCI slots, 2 USB ports (2 optional), support for up to 4 IDE devices including ATA-133, an ATA-133 RAID controller supporting RAID 0,1,0+1, and the usual Serial and PS/2 ports. The performance of the board is very similar to the other KT333 boards, usually not varying by more than a few frames. Nevertheless, the KT333 boards are the fastest Socket A boards on the planet at the moment, so you cant go wrong with it or any of the other KT333 boards.
The overclocking potential of this board is the selling point. There are options to move the FSB in 1MHz increments up to 200MHz, the important PCI/AGP dividers, the usual RAM tweaks, and the usual Voltage changes, and the board is very stable when overclocked.
The 8KA3's performance and overclocking ability lead to it being chosen here, but if you are after USB 2.0, the MSI KT3U will suffice, and if you want something different without legacy ports, go for the Abit AT7.
- Find the best price on EPoX motherboards!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 1 [Introduction]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 2 [Processors]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 3 [Motherboards]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 4 [DDR Memory]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 5 [Video Cards]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 6 [Hard Disk Drives]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 7 [DVD and Burner Drives]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 8 [Soundcards and Monitors]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 9 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch could feature Xbox Games Pass by end of 2019
- Did Blizzard just tease the 30th hero for Overwatch?
- Overclockers UK unveils $43,000 gaming PC: 8Pack Orion X2
- NZXT releases Overwatch-themed H500 PC gaming chassis
- NVIDIA reportedly launching GeForce GTX 1650 next month
- Intrusive Ads on Tweaktown
- AxE: Alliance vs Empire preview: MMO mobile chaos
- random shutdown
- Kensington LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dock Review
- Compatibility issue P10S-M-DC with i5
- Super Dragon Ball Heroes World Mission to Launch with HERO Edition
- Rise of Industry Gets May 2nd Release Date!
- Pixel Noir will debut on Steam Early Access. SWDTech retro RPG will be released on the Steam system during the first week of April
- Pull Your Devil Trigger With Sinful New Devil May Cry 5 Range
- BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Reveals New Ranger Class Trailer for Upcoming Action MMORPG, Bless Unleashed