Almost all of today's desktop CPUs (with the only exception being VIA's C3) require a fan attached to a heatsink to keep them sufficiently cooled. When choosing a fan to go with your heatsink, there are a few important things you should look at. The first is the type of fan.
Two types of fans that usually come with heatsinks are ball bearing fans and sleeve bearing fans. Most people prefer ball bearing fans rather than sleeve bearing fans because they spin faster, thus increasing cooling performance. Sleeve bearing fans have also been known to fail when they get old, which would be a disaster, especially for owners of AMD processors, since seconds after the fan stops working , the processor will be fried. A good way to tell if your fan is of good quality is to carefully listen to the sound if makes while it's running. you should just hear the sound of the air flowing, which can sometimes be rather loud depending on the speed of your fan. You should not hear a buzzing sound and if you do, chances are your fan's motor is poor.
If you would like high performance and do not mind a high noise level, I recommend a 7,000RPM ball bearing fan. However, if you would like a relatively quiet PC, you should be looking at a fan that rotates at around 4,000RPM.
Thermal Interface Material
To have the best possible heat transfer, the base of your heatsink has to be flat and free of air gaps. While a heatsink's base may often seem flat, there are always tiny bumps and dents that you cannot see and no matter how much you lap your heatsink, you will never get it perfectly flat.
To combat this problem, a TIM (Thermal Interface Material), such as a thermal compound or thermal pad, is used. A thermal pad usually comes preinstalled on a heatsink and is made out of graphite or some sort of polymer. while no installation is required and they are all that is need for most users, the performance they offer is far inferior to that of a thermal compound.
A thermal compound is a paste that is applied to the CPU or the heatsink. Most thermal compounds consist of silicon, silver and metal oxide. This is because these materials provide especially high thermal conductivity.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 2 [Materials]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 3 [Design]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 4 [Manufacturing Methods]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 5 [Fans & Thermal Interface Material]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 6 [Testing the Theory]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 7 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Two new Nintendo Switch models to release around summer 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11: Noob Saibot/Shang Tsung added to roster
- Sony removes digital game purchases from retailers April 1st
- Apple's TV service charges $9.99ea for HBO, Showtime, Starz
- Unlock Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice PC framerate with this mod
- ASrock X99 Extreme4 - adding NVMe SSD
- Global web designing
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Numskull Designs proudly reveals: Official Mortal Kombat Klassic merchandise
- Akuto: Showdown - fast-paced arena brawler game with swords and guns
- Creative Destruction and Transformers' Bumblebee Team Up for In-Game Event Arriving March 28
- Corpse Party: Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash Invites You to Celebrate When it Releases April 10 on PC
- PUBG Mobile Reveals Its 2019 eSports Plans Which Will Feature A Prize Pool of $2.5 million USD