Almost all of today's desktop CPUs (with the only exception being VIA's C3) require a fan attached to a heatsink to keep them sufficiently cooled. When choosing a fan to go with your heatsink, there are a few important things you should look at. The first is the type of fan.
Two types of fans that usually come with heatsinks are ball bearing fans and sleeve bearing fans. Most people prefer ball bearing fans rather than sleeve bearing fans because they spin faster, thus increasing cooling performance. Sleeve bearing fans have also been known to fail when they get old, which would be a disaster, especially for owners of AMD processors, since seconds after the fan stops working , the processor will be fried. A good way to tell if your fan is of good quality is to carefully listen to the sound if makes while it's running. you should just hear the sound of the air flowing, which can sometimes be rather loud depending on the speed of your fan. You should not hear a buzzing sound and if you do, chances are your fan's motor is poor.
If you would like high performance and do not mind a high noise level, I recommend a 7,000RPM ball bearing fan. However, if you would like a relatively quiet PC, you should be looking at a fan that rotates at around 4,000RPM.
Thermal Interface Material
To have the best possible heat transfer, the base of your heatsink has to be flat and free of air gaps. While a heatsink's base may often seem flat, there are always tiny bumps and dents that you cannot see and no matter how much you lap your heatsink, you will never get it perfectly flat.
To combat this problem, a TIM (Thermal Interface Material), such as a thermal compound or thermal pad, is used. A thermal pad usually comes preinstalled on a heatsink and is made out of graphite or some sort of polymer. while no installation is required and they are all that is need for most users, the performance they offer is far inferior to that of a thermal compound.
A thermal compound is a paste that is applied to the CPU or the heatsink. Most thermal compounds consist of silicon, silver and metal oxide. This is because these materials provide especially high thermal conductivity.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 2 [Materials]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 3 [Design]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 4 [Manufacturing Methods]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 5 [Fans & Thermal Interface Material]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 6 [Testing the Theory]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 7 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Travis Scott will curate entire NBA 2K19 soundtrack
- DICE to release new Battlefield V gameplay trailer today
- Metro Exodus Aurora Limited Edition announced
- Devil May Cry 5's first playable demo to drop at Gamescom
- NVIDIA's new GeForce RTX 2080 rumored to cost $649
- Buy (5 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $1,150
- TRENDnet TWC-L10 Wi-Fi Light Bulb Security Camera Review
- Buy (3 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $900
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Legendary Actor Patrick Stewart To Narrate My Memory of Us
- Hi-Rez Studios Establishes New Development Studios, Strengthens Publishing Position
- Guardians of the Sky Arrives for TERA PC with Aerial Content and Limited Time Loot
- Lian Li Fuse Classic Brushed Aluminum and Modern RGB Lighting with new LANCOOL ONE Chassis
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution