XP definitely strikes you as being the most different look since the jump from the plain boring 3.1 to Win9x. The colors and shading are very nice, and pleasing to the eye except for that nasty green Start button! It takes a bit to get used to the "My first Windows" look, but believe me, it quickly grows on you! The default desktop picture is rather nice; much better than those of the past as well (especially on the 21" monitor!)
If the whole look doesn't appeal to you, XP lets you set the appearance back to that of Windows 2000, which I thought I would do right away, but ended up only getting rid of that hideously huge start menu! To do this, simply to go to Start, then Settings, Control Panel, then Taskbar and Start Menu. This window will come up:
Next, click on the "Start Menu" tab at the top, and you will see this:
That will get rid of the huge Start menu that almost takes up half your screen! Now onto the other look changes, like the title bars and taskbar. Right click your desktop, and click Properties. Click on the Appearance tab at the top and this sheet will come up:
Now you just choose Windows Classic Style, hit apply, and Viola!! Windows XP with a retro 2k look. Piece of cake.
Well, that about wraps it up. I wish there was more to write about, but the installation is so simple, that even a person that is new to computers can perform this upgrade quickly and easily. So if you happen to get your hands on XP and are a little nervous about setting it up, don't sweat it!! Microsoft has made it a very painless procedure not to be feared by anyone.
I have to give thanks real quick-like to my buddy Fatdaddy for helping me get hold of XP, and a special thanks to Mr. Tweak for adding me to the great team here at TweakTown. I am very fortunate to give back to such an awesome site. I hope you enjoyed this little excursion/guide into uncharted XP land and keep an eye out for more good stuff coming your way from TweakTown!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- World of Warcraft expansion 'Battle for Azeroth' releases
- FromSoftware release Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice screenshots
- Capcom/Valve to fix Monster Hunter: World connection errors
- Marvel's Spider-Man gameplay launch trailer unveiled early
- Nintendo smashes Sony in total hardware sales: 700 million+
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- RAID 0 on a really old Motherboard
- Z97-UD5H-BK: Modded BIOS for NVME support
- Buy (10 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $1,300
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution
- NVIDIA to Collaborate with DARPA to Develop Systems for Post-Moore's Law Era
- New Turing-Based Design Revolutionizes Workflow of Millions of Designers and Artists on the Desktop and in the Datacenter
- Hybrid Rendering Fundamentally Changes Computer Graphics by Fusing Real-Time Ray Tracing, AI, Simulation and Rasterization
- AMD Launches World's Most Powerful Desktop Processor: Bigger, Better 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper Processors Break Boundaries of High-End Desktop Market