XP definitely strikes you as being the most different look since the jump from the plain boring 3.1 to Win9x. The colors and shading are very nice, and pleasing to the eye except for that nasty green Start button! It takes a bit to get used to the "My first Windows" look, but believe me, it quickly grows on you! The default desktop picture is rather nice; much better than those of the past as well (especially on the 21" monitor!)
If the whole look doesn't appeal to you, XP lets you set the appearance back to that of Windows 2000, which I thought I would do right away, but ended up only getting rid of that hideously huge start menu! To do this, simply to go to Start, then Settings, Control Panel, then Taskbar and Start Menu. This window will come up:
Next, click on the "Start Menu" tab at the top, and you will see this:
That will get rid of the huge Start menu that almost takes up half your screen! Now onto the other look changes, like the title bars and taskbar. Right click your desktop, and click Properties. Click on the Appearance tab at the top and this sheet will come up:
Now you just choose Windows Classic Style, hit apply, and Viola!! Windows XP with a retro 2k look. Piece of cake.
Well, that about wraps it up. I wish there was more to write about, but the installation is so simple, that even a person that is new to computers can perform this upgrade quickly and easily. So if you happen to get your hands on XP and are a little nervous about setting it up, don't sweat it!! Microsoft has made it a very painless procedure not to be feared by anyone.
I have to give thanks real quick-like to my buddy Fatdaddy for helping me get hold of XP, and a special thanks to Mr. Tweak for adding me to the great team here at TweakTown. I am very fortunate to give back to such an awesome site. I hope you enjoyed this little excursion/guide into uncharted XP land and keep an eye out for more good stuff coming your way from TweakTown!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Skyrim on Switch runs at native 900p resolution while docked
- THQ Nordic grabs Biomutant game rights and developer
- EA: Live services are a predictable, evolving business
- Vivendi postpones Ubisoft takeover
- Battlegrounds' desert map shown off in 3 new screenshots
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- Supermicro SuperO C7Z370-CG-L Motherboard Review
- GAMDIAS Hermes E1 Gaming Combo Review
- need advice for replacing 4 washable air filter for my pc-b25s
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ