What is a BIOS?
BIOS stands for "Basic Input/Output System" and is one of the three types of software your computer needs to run properly. The first type of software is the "Operating System", which put simply, is software designed to control the hardware of a specific data-processing system in order to allow users and application programs to make use of it. The second type is applications, which are programs that give a computer instructions that provide the user with tools to accomplish a task.
The third type, the BIOS, differs from the software listed above in a few ways. One of them is the fact that instead of being installed from a disk, it is a read-only memory chip that is soldered onto the motherboard. The other main difference is the tasks it performs. A BIOS is the set of routines stored in read-only memory that enable a computer to start the operating system and to communicate with the various devices in the system, such as disk drives, keyboard, monitor, printer, and communications ports. Once your operating system starts, the BIOS sits in the background, until your next reboot.
When you turn on your computer, the BIOS performs a POST (Power On Self Test), which makes sure all of the hardware components in your system are working properly. It then activates the BIOS chips on the other components in your system and finally interfaces your hardware components with the operating system stored on your hard drive. So basically, the BIOS gives the microprocessor its first instructions and then makes sure your computer is ready to run the operating system. On top of this, the BIOS contains various customizable settings and information about your computer's components and how they run.
Now that we've established what a BIOS is, let's find out how to tweak it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New Lord of the Rings game follows Gollums precious life
- Mortal Kombat 11's story throws players back into the 90's
- EA partner with Velan Studios to publish new team-based IP
- Apple TV+ is a new video streaming service to combat Netflix
- Battlefield V battle royale mode Firestorm is now live
- MSI MEG X399 CREATION (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- ASrock X99 Extreme4 - adding NVMe SSD
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Back to Bed arrives to Nintendo Switch April 11th!
- First Look at Stefanie Joosten as Sooma
- Warframe Approaches 50 million Player Mark At Sixth-Year Anniversary
- KILL la KILL - IF leads the pack of a whole slew of new Arc America info!
- Ubisoft Announces The Final Details Of The Just Dance World Cup 2019