Socket A AMD Duron CPU
The AMD Duron processor is the baby brother of the AMD Athlon Thunderbird. The Duron is the value market CPU designed to dethrone the Intel Celeron as king of the value market CPU and so far is has done this in speed but not total PC price (more on this later). The AMD Duron was the first Socket A CPU to be released to the public by AMD. Duron uses the same core as the Athlon Thunderbird with its super FPU and 0.18 micron technology. The only difference is the amount of L2 cache. The L2 cache of the Duron is a small 64KB. As we stated the AMD Duron is the king for price to performance ratio. The Duron kills the Celeron CPU in every benchmark test at the same core speed, this is due to the 200Mhz EV6 bus of the Duron vs the 66Mhz P6 bus of the Celeron as well as the triple pipelined FPU of the Duron vs the single pipeline of the Celeron, The only thing holding back the Duron from becoming the standard in the value market is motherboards. Intel Celeron CPU's can be used on the integrated platforms like SIS 620, SIS630, Intel I810 and I810E motherboards with integrated graphics and sound. At this time there are no integrated motherboard for the AMD Duron CPU meaning that more expensive motherboards have to be used and an additional separate graphics card has to be purchased. VIA Technology has plans to release a Socket A integrated platform with the S3 Savage 4 and Savage 2000 video subsystems integrated into the chipset in order to make the new Duron CPU the winner for the value market.
Now we know a bit about each CPU let's get down to overclocking and setting up the speediest system.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rum Runner's Pack free DLC debuts to Pillars of Eternity 2
- New Battlerite Royale screenshots unveil UI/more gameplay
- Co-op monster hunting title, Duntless releases open beta
- Dark Souls Remastered releases a whole day early on Steam
- Borderlands 2 is free-to-play and 75% off Steam this weekend
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,257
- Photo Backup and Build your own cloud with Synology
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit