Socket A AMD Athlon Thunderbird CPU
The Socket A Athlon Thunderbird was the 2nd Thunderbird generation to his the streets. The Slot A version of the Thunderbirds that were meant for OEM's found their way onto the streets and in to overclockers computers. The new Thunderbird core took advantage of the existing 0.18-micron technology and the new ondie L2 cache technology and combined the 2 to form the new wave of Pentium 3 killers. The Thunderbird incorporates a L2 cache size of only 256KB running at the full CPU speed. Although its cache size is smaller from its predecessor this CPU is able to outperform the 512KB model due to the cache running twice as fast as the 512KB model. So while the 512KB model is trying to clear its L2 out for new data the Thunderbird has already cleared its cache out and has received the new data. The Thunderbird uses the same FPU as its predecessor, The only real difference is the cache an the new Socket 462 or Socket A PGA package. The new Socket form was used in favor of the Slot because of cost. Using the Socket A reduces costs in 2 stages, 1, since the cache is moved to the die of the CPU there is no need for the board anymore which used to hold the L2 cache chips., removing this board reduces the costs of manufacturing the CPU. 2, using a Socket interface on the motherboard reduces motherboard production costs as the manufacture of the motherboard doesn't need to add extra PCB to accommodate the extremely long Slot connector.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Final Fantasy XV DLC continues into 2019
- IBM's Watson AI might be coming to a game near you
- Sonic movie set for 2019
- Xbox saves work with Final Fantasy XV on PC
- Luigi's Balloon World/new outfits for Super Mario Odyssey
- Enermax T.B. RGB, RGB Lighting 3 Fan Pack Review
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming K3 (Intel Z370) Motherboard
- Amped Wireless Titan AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Reeven NAIA 240 CPU Cooler Review
- For Sale 5 Pieces Apple iPhone 8 64GB Brand New Unlocked $2,795
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit