TweakTown's AMD Overclocked Box
To show you all out there we practice what we preach, we have setup our own overclocked AMD Athlon box to show just what you can achieve with some cool results from overclocking AMD Athlon/Duron processors.
The AMD box consists of an ABIT K7T RAID, we add to this a sweet AMD Athlon 900 which we were able to get to 1060MHz (10.5x101Mhz). we used Kingmax PC150 SDRAM at CAS2 at +PCI Clock. We used a 1.85v core voltage to obtain this high a speed. We also used a Visiontek Geforce2 Ultra 64MB DDR video card overclocked to 300Mhz core and 515Mhz RAM to obtain best results. For the cooling side of things we used 2x80mm Dick Smiths (Australia's Radio Shack), these were positioned at the front and rear of our Itan ATX full tower. 2x60mm fans were used on the side panels which were modded with a Jig Saw and Tunkstan Steel Panel blades, these were positioned right over the CPU for maximum cooling.
Processor: AMD Athlon 900Mhz @ 1060Mhz
Memory: Kingmax PC150
Motherboard: ABIT KT7 RAID
Video Card: Visiontek 64MB [email protected] Ultra (300/515)
Operating System: Windows 98 SE
Video Drivers: Det 3 ver 6.49
With out system running all this we got a cool 8867 3Dmarks. We only lightly tweaked the system to achieve this but with a lot of more time and effort we could have squeezed a lot more out of it. Its all dependent on the components.
The AMD K7 based processors are by far the "easiest" and "safest" to overclock. What we mean by this is that you have a choice of overclocking. You have multipliers, FSB in bios or FSB via software. Overclocking by multiplier takes all the effort of finding ram, video card and PCI preferables that will handle the overclocked bus speeds. That way if the system does not like the overclocked speeds you can then tell it's the CPU and not another device in the computer that is locking up due to the overclocked speeds. Just a few reminders of overclocking. 1) That if you choose to overclock you will break the warranty on the CPU with the manufacturer (whether it be Intel or AMD) so if you do manage to melt the core the CPU have become the most expansive key ring you will ever have. 2) What works from some may not work for others, some people may be able to get their CPU over 1Ghz while you can only get 50Mhz more, this is the price you pay but it can be a worthwhile one if you get a top performing CPU. 3) Always use common sense, most disasters that happen to CPU's happened cause people trying to overclock didn't use any common sense.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- IO Interactive opens Swedish studio to work on new franchise
- New Dragon Ball Z action RPG in development
- Resident Evil 2 Remake demo impressions
- Ghostbusters 3 set for Summer 2020, teaser trailer released
- EA cancelled new Star Wars game to work on smaller project
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe SSD Review
- Problem with RAM Overclock
- Nokia's Service Operations Center powers Telefonica UK's drive towards customer-centric operations
- Black Desert Online's Battle Royale mode enters Early Access today
- Roblox hires British online safety expert Laura Higgins to lead new digital civility initiative
- HyperX Announces 2019 We're All Gamers Ad Campaign Including Celebrity Influencers Post Malone, Gordon Hayward, Joel Embiid, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pokimane, Shroud, Daigo, De'Aaron Fox and Rush
- Macrotis: A Mother's Journey Releases this upcoming February 8th!