Image Quality Testing
Attaching the cards to the TV via the HDMI input produced some interesting results. The Bravia LCD TV supports high-def video up to 1080i, and over the HDMI standard the cards detect this capability as 1920x1080x60 resolution.
However, the TV's native resolution is nowhere near this, at 1366x768 (which is actually very good for an LCD TV). Normally the TV's internal scaler deals with any incoming signal and fits it to the screen. Additionally, the TV is designed to cope with signal overscan, as is the AV component sending the signal. So the high-def signal fits the screen well and is nice and sharp.
Graphics cards on the other hand, can't natively sort out overscanning. That's actually handled by the graphics driver, and not automatically either. We had to manually apply overscan correction to get the computer desktop to fit, but then sending through video content like a DVD, which already has overscan correction inbuilt, a black area was visible on either side of the screen.
So in other words, the HDMI input is generally fine for sending through media content, although the results can be variable given the card/driver's inability to correct overscanning on the fly.
The best desktop images were provided by the RGB/DVI inputs from the card to the RGB input on the TV, which detected the resolution properly and displayed a clear sharp image. The desktop provided by the HDMI input was never as crisp, with slight blurriness around icon edges. Interestingly, the best desktop image was provided by the GeCube X1600 using the DVI-HDMI adaptor, mainly because the signal sent wasn't a true HDMI signal, but a converted DVI signal - much closer to RGB.
Media quality on RGB was still very good, in spite of being an analogue signal - visually we couldn't tell the difference between RGB and HDMI on video playback.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia new cinematic trailer
- Netflix's The Witcher TV show confirms 8 ep first season
- Brave Software lands deal with Dow Jones Media Group
- GeForce GTX 1180 alleged specs, beats the $1200 TITAN Xp
- PUBG's first world tournament: $2 million in prizes and more
- B360M-ITX/ac does not see USB drive at all
- WD My Passport Wireless SSD 500GB Review
- Legacy Mode
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit