Test System Setup
Processor(s): Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 3150MHz (7 x 450MHz FSB)
Motherboard(s): Gigabyte P965-DQ6 (Supplied by Gigabyte)
Memory(s): 2 x 1GB Kingston HyperX PC8000 DDR-2 (DDR-900 1:1)
Graphics Card(s): XFX GeForce 7900GS Extreme (Supplied by XFX)
Hard Disk(s): Seagate 7200.10 SATA2
Operating System(s): Windows XP Professional SP2 and Windows Vista RC2 build 5744
Drivers Used: nVidia ForceWare 92.91 / DX9c / Intel INF 22.214.171.1241 for XP and nVidia ForceWare 96.33 BETA / DX10 for Vista
The aim of our benchmarking here today is to work out if there are any tangible performance differences between Windows XP and Vista.
Sure, the Vista build which we are using here today is not the final release and Microsoft may well improve performance and newer drivers might be bundled in Vista from the various hardware companies but on the same token, Vista is almost ready for release and this should give us some idea of the performance differences between each OS in some situations.
We had no issues running any of the benchmark applications you see here today - each performed as they should and we experienced no crashing or unusual behavior whatsoever. As for 3DMark06, that required us to download a single DX9 driver file and place it into the Windows/system folder and then everything worked perfectly - 3DMark05 didn't ask for any drivers, it just used the DX10 drivers which come part of Vista.
We'll mostly be focusing on gaming performance as that is what interests us most. So, how does the latest Vista RC2 build 5744 shape up against the mature, tried and tested Windows XP SP2?
Let's check it out in the several benchmarks we performed to give you an idea!
Version and / or Patch Used: Build 120
Developer Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com
Product Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark05/
3DMark05 is now the second latest version in the popular 3DMark "Gamers Benchmark" series. It includes a complete set of DX9 benchmarks which tests Shader Model 2.0 and above.
For more information on the 3DMark05 benchmark, we recommend you read our preview here.
In our first benchmark we can see that Windows XP has almost a 14% lead over Vista RC2. This is as to be expected as XP is the mature OS with equally mature and tweaked drivers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Installation of Vista RC2]
- Page 3 [First impressions of Vista - The Good]
- Page 4 [First impressions of Vista - The Good Continued]
- Page 5 [First impressions of Vista - The Bad]
- Page 6 [XP Software Compatibility in Vista]
- Page 7 [Drivers - everything just works?]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Cinebench 9.5]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Quake 4 with SMP]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA better celebrate 4/20 with GeForce 420.00 drivers
- Like Twin Peaks and X-Files? Check out Remedy's Control
- Why EA is firing 350 employees: it's all about business
- Hitman 2 'Expansion Pass' update adds DX12 support, March 26
- New Lord of the Rings game follows Gollums precious life
- Fan xpert 4 resets at every restart
- H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh
- H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh
- The Division 2 Benchmarked: 20 Graphics Cards Tested
- MSI MEG X399 CREATION (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- Animoca Brands partners with Formula 1 to develop 'F1 Delta Time' blockchain game
- ENP Games, Mobile Game 'Wall-Breaking Master: Ballvader 2' Featured In Google Play
- Match Ventures is now free
- First Gameplay Video from Glorious Companions revealed - 10 minutes of Developer Commentary
- Kursk with a Great Discount on Steam!