MSI BIOS and Overclocking
Now we are onto our last board, and I must say this was the most disappointing overclocking we have ever experienced in this roundup.
MSI uses the Traditional Award BIOS layout with the blue background and side by side menus. To get access to the Overclocking features you will find the bulk of them under the Cell Menu.
Under Cell menu you have access to FSB and voltages. FSB can be adjusted from 200MHz up to 500MHz in 1MHz increments.
DRAM voltage goes from 1.8v to 2.4v in 0.05v increments. Even after using the latest 1.5v BIOS from the MSI website, there are no CPU voltage adjustments available at all which is very disappointing. To get access to the CPU multiplier you need to access the Advanced chipset features menu and access the CPU feature sub menu.
We managed an FSB of 402MHz (402 x 7 = 2814MHz) as we were able to lower our CPU multiplier to allow for overclocking. If you have a Core 2 Duo or Pentium 4 CPU, this board is going to limit your overclocking potential as you won't be able to adjust the CPU ratio since only the high-end Extreme processors allow for the multiplier to be changed.
By far this was the worst overclocking motherboard in the roundup and MSI need to do some serious thinking about the options available in the BIOS (read: CPU voltage adjustments), we can't even believe they sent it to us in this state - sure, it's not their high-end P965 board but we expect more from MSI. A new BIOS could fix this problem but we can only test what is available to us at the time of testing.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we don't have enough time to tweak the motherboard to the maximum and find the highest possible FSB as this could take days to properly find.
We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking or as new BIOS updates are released or "burn in" time might come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Path to Mnemosyne announced to debut to the Nintendo Switch
- Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion countdown date
- God of War Special Edition runes translated, see the truth
- Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia new cinematic trailer
- Netflix's The Witcher TV show confirms 8 ep first season
- B360M-ITX/ac does not see USB drive at all
- WD My Passport Wireless SSD 500GB Review
- Legacy Mode
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit