OCZ EL PC2-8000 Platinum Extreme Edition
It's been some time since we have seen OCZ RAM come into our labs and it's good to have the boys from the USA show up again to see how far they have come in OCZ's relatively short life time. Dedicated to the overclockers, OCZ has put a lot of work into its memory modules, and the PC2-8000 EL is no different.
First off OCZ has gone with a totally unique heatspreader unit. The heatspreader is platinum coated allow with a honeycomb interior. While it's debatable if this increased surface area for cooling will make any difference, it does look rather smick and is definitely an eye candy thing. In the middle on both sides of the heatspreader are raised "Z" logos that represent the company logo and really set the memory off in terms of style.
On the front of the RAM modules OCZ has placed its sticker with memory module data. OCZ has set their modules up with a SPD rating of 4-5-4-15-2T. OCZ has a 2.2v maximum voltage rating on its modules that still covers you for warranty.
We ran these modules at 2.2v to see what was obtainable and we managed to get 1208MHz (604MHz) without any problem. With 2.5v we managed to get 1225MHz DDR (612.5MHz) stable.
Super Talent TX800 Series
This is the first memory we have received from Super Talent for our review pleasure and it's great to see new companies coming into the hardware market.
Super Talent puts a silver alloy heatspreader on its modules with Super Talent imprinted at the far end. Apart from that there are very little other markings.
One thing that we didn't like here was that Super Talent didn't put any direct info on their modules in relation to speed, timings or serial numbers. Only a small sticker with a code was included that we had to lookup on Super Talents website to get any direct info.
These modules are rated at DDR-2 800MHz, so they are ideal for use with the Intel P965 series chipsets at stock speeds. The SPD rating for these modules is 4-4-3-8-2T. There are no voltage warranties with these modules, so going above 1.8v will put you out with Super Talent's RMA team. We managed to get these to a maximum speed of 1098MHz DDR (549MHz) with memory voltages at 2.2v. Anything more would result in constant reboots of the system and no posting.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Modules - Corsair and G.Skill]
- Page 3 [The Modules - OCZ and Super Talent]
- Page 4 [The Modules - Kingston and A-DATA]
- Page 5 [The Modules - SyncMAX and Team Group]
- Page 6 [The Modules - TwinMOS]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - ScienceMark 2.0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google Stadia's save sharing feature is revolutionary
- Games titan Tencent earns $45 billion in 2018
- Capcom release Devil May Cry 5 soundtrack on Spotify/Steam
- Sixth Goku iteration added to Dragon Ball FighterZ
- Kotal Kahn gets bodied in his own Mortal Kombat 11 reveal
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- LoanCare, a ServiceLink Company, Announces New Chief Information Officer
- Giada Adds AMD Ryzen-Powered DM6 To High-Performance Signage Player Series
- Slay Time - Hack and Slash MMORPG Guardians of Ember Enters Open Beta
- Nokia Commits US$750K to Support the Work of the Internet Engineering Task Force
- The global installed base of airport asset tracking systems will reach 0.4 million units in 2023