OCZ EL PC2-8000 Platinum Extreme Edition
It's been some time since we have seen OCZ RAM come into our labs and it's good to have the boys from the USA show up again to see how far they have come in OCZ's relatively short life time. Dedicated to the overclockers, OCZ has put a lot of work into its memory modules, and the PC2-8000 EL is no different.
First off OCZ has gone with a totally unique heatspreader unit. The heatspreader is platinum coated allow with a honeycomb interior. While it's debatable if this increased surface area for cooling will make any difference, it does look rather smick and is definitely an eye candy thing. In the middle on both sides of the heatspreader are raised "Z" logos that represent the company logo and really set the memory off in terms of style.
On the front of the RAM modules OCZ has placed its sticker with memory module data. OCZ has set their modules up with a SPD rating of 4-5-4-15-2T. OCZ has a 2.2v maximum voltage rating on its modules that still covers you for warranty.
We ran these modules at 2.2v to see what was obtainable and we managed to get 1208MHz (604MHz) without any problem. With 2.5v we managed to get 1225MHz DDR (612.5MHz) stable.
Super Talent TX800 Series
This is the first memory we have received from Super Talent for our review pleasure and it's great to see new companies coming into the hardware market.
Super Talent puts a silver alloy heatspreader on its modules with Super Talent imprinted at the far end. Apart from that there are very little other markings.
One thing that we didn't like here was that Super Talent didn't put any direct info on their modules in relation to speed, timings or serial numbers. Only a small sticker with a code was included that we had to lookup on Super Talents website to get any direct info.
These modules are rated at DDR-2 800MHz, so they are ideal for use with the Intel P965 series chipsets at stock speeds. The SPD rating for these modules is 4-4-3-8-2T. There are no voltage warranties with these modules, so going above 1.8v will put you out with Super Talent's RMA team. We managed to get these to a maximum speed of 1098MHz DDR (549MHz) with memory voltages at 2.2v. Anything more would result in constant reboots of the system and no posting.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Modules - Corsair and G.Skill]
- Page 3 [The Modules - OCZ and Super Talent]
- Page 4 [The Modules - Kingston and A-DATA]
- Page 5 [The Modules - SyncMAX and Team Group]
- Page 6 [The Modules - TwinMOS]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - ScienceMark 2.0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sony's PS4 DualShock 4 gamepad: the most popular controller
- Tekken 7 receives a free DLC to celebrate 1-year anniversary
- Batman: Arkham developer to announce Superman game before E3
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance's modding tools/DLC's will be free
- Stardew Valley mod adds MEGA farm: unlimited online players
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $1,595
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,595
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit