AMD's push towards AM2 can only be considered a unification of the AMD K8 architecture to a single socket platform. Both the fundamental architecture remains the same only a change in memory technology has been adopted.
Clock for clock performance on the AMD Athlon 64 X2 939 and the AM2 models are almost identical and only a few points in each tests give the overall win to the AM2, by a very small margin. If you currently have a 939 based CPU, and were wondering if AM2 will give you any extra power, the answer is simply "no!" - It is just not worth the upgrade. For new users who want to migrate to AMD, then yes put yourself down for AM2, as 939 and 754 are on the way to the extinct pile.
AMD's only major benefit is the Sempron series of CPU. This is the one with the most to gain, with an upgrade from a single channel DDR memory controller to a Dual Channel DDR-2 memory controller. We are bound to see some performance increases on this platform, which we hope to test for you in the coming months.
Our final words, if you have a high speed Socket 939 based processor, don't bother going and buying a new board, RAM and CPU as the dollars spent now won't give you a performance upgrade. For new users, get the Socket AM2 over 939. You will be somewhat more future proof (DDR-3 will be ready around the second half of 2007) plus gain a little performance advantage over the older platform and with AMD's recent price cuts to combat Intel's latest Conroe beast, the price of Socket AM2 and 939 processors are the same.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dad makes custom Zelda/Link life-lesson present for daughter
- Google tease MAJOR gaming announcement for March 19th
- Overwatch's new Paris map is now live on all platforms
- Huawei to unveil its next-gen P30 smartphone on March 26
- Apex Legends second patch arrives, fixes stability, crashes
- Far Cry New Dawn Benchmarked: 1080p, 1440p, 4K All Tested
- Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- BIOSTAR B450GT3 (AMD B450) Motherboard Review
- cpu internal ac/dc load line settings and undervolding?
- LG Innotek Begins Mass Production of 'ToF Module' for Smart Phones
- Puma And The Tetris Company Announce Partnership That Is Sure To Spark Nostalgia
- Embrace Your Dark Side - Daedalic Entertainment Announces New Tactical RPG Iratus: Lord of the Dead
- New Devespresso and Headup Collaboration: 'Vambrace: Cold Soul' Coming Soon to PC & Consoles
- Hadean Integrates Distributed Simulation Technology Powered By Microsoft Azure