AMD's push towards AM2 can only be considered a unification of the AMD K8 architecture to a single socket platform. Both the fundamental architecture remains the same only a change in memory technology has been adopted.
Clock for clock performance on the AMD Athlon 64 X2 939 and the AM2 models are almost identical and only a few points in each tests give the overall win to the AM2, by a very small margin. If you currently have a 939 based CPU, and were wondering if AM2 will give you any extra power, the answer is simply "no!" - It is just not worth the upgrade. For new users who want to migrate to AMD, then yes put yourself down for AM2, as 939 and 754 are on the way to the extinct pile.
AMD's only major benefit is the Sempron series of CPU. This is the one with the most to gain, with an upgrade from a single channel DDR memory controller to a Dual Channel DDR-2 memory controller. We are bound to see some performance increases on this platform, which we hope to test for you in the coming months.
Our final words, if you have a high speed Socket 939 based processor, don't bother going and buying a new board, RAM and CPU as the dollars spent now won't give you a performance upgrade. For new users, get the Socket AM2 over 939. You will be somewhat more future proof (DDR-3 will be ready around the second half of 2007) plus gain a little performance advantage over the older platform and with AMD's recent price cuts to combat Intel's latest Conroe beast, the price of Socket AM2 and 939 processors are the same.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Fiber optic cables double as early earthquake detectors
- Surface Pro LTE delayed until at least Spring 2018
- NeoGAF goes down, owner embroiled in sexual harrassment
- ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti teased with triple-fan cooler
- Bitcoin hits $6000, with $100 billion in value
- Gigabyte AB-350 G3 CPU LED & No POST after update ->rollback?
- AMD Threadripper vs. Intel Core i9 CPUs Clock for Clock
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- RAID on a new X370 Fatal1ty Gaming X with m.2 SSDs using a PCIe card.
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard