AMD's push towards AM2 can only be considered a unification of the AMD K8 architecture to a single socket platform. Both the fundamental architecture remains the same only a change in memory technology has been adopted.
Clock for clock performance on the AMD Athlon 64 X2 939 and the AM2 models are almost identical and only a few points in each tests give the overall win to the AM2, by a very small margin. If you currently have a 939 based CPU, and were wondering if AM2 will give you any extra power, the answer is simply "no!" - It is just not worth the upgrade. For new users who want to migrate to AMD, then yes put yourself down for AM2, as 939 and 754 are on the way to the extinct pile.
AMD's only major benefit is the Sempron series of CPU. This is the one with the most to gain, with an upgrade from a single channel DDR memory controller to a Dual Channel DDR-2 memory controller. We are bound to see some performance increases on this platform, which we hope to test for you in the coming months.
Our final words, if you have a high speed Socket 939 based processor, don't bother going and buying a new board, RAM and CPU as the dollars spent now won't give you a performance upgrade. For new users, get the Socket AM2 over 939. You will be somewhat more future proof (DDR-3 will be ready around the second half of 2007) plus gain a little performance advantage over the older platform and with AMD's recent price cuts to combat Intel's latest Conroe beast, the price of Socket AM2 and 939 processors are the same.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung 4TB SSD teased, will cost a mighty $1900
- Samsung starts producing 16-gigabit GDDR6 for next-gen GPUs
- PUBG patched on PC, fixes performance in large-scale fights
- Street Fighter V players upgraded to the Arcade Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 patch 1.1 brings stability all round
- Realtek sound not working all of a sudden
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- The Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series