Final (Fan?) Thoughts
My testing on the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti in NVLink versus the older Pascal-based GeForce GTX 1080 Ti in SLI was an interesting one, with some major highlights at the right resolutions of the sheer power of the Turing GPU architecture and super-fast GDDR6 memory.
NVIDIA's new GeForce RTX 2080 Ti cards in NVLink shred the GTX 1080 Ti SLI setup in games like Shadow of War at 4K with a huge 110FPS average with stock fans, and even better 123FPS average when the fans are at 100%. This allows the card to stretch a little further and keep its high GPU clocks that much higher, as the card is staying cooler.
Note: I'm only testing the Founders Edition graphics cards here, with some NVLink setups from custom RTX cards coming soon. I will be updating these results with RTX 2070 SUPER and RTX 2080 SUPER cards in NVLink in the coming days and weeks, too. But the FE cards do run hotter than custom cards, so the results will definitely change.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider on the GTX 1080 Ti SLI is already good at 94-103FPS (fans at stock versus 100%) but the RTX 2080 Ti in NVLink boosts that to 125-131FPS (fans at stock versus 100%). RTX 2080 Ti in NVLink is what you'll want for some Big Format Gaming Display (BFGD) action on a huge 65-inch 4K 120Hz TV or the super-fast 4K 144Hz G-Sync gaming monitors for Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
I've got some interesting results with SLI and NVLink setup with Overwatch, something I need to spend some time with testing but I was getting virtually 100% scaling at 4K and even 8K. I can load the game up to maximum resolution scaling (200%) with maximum AA applied and it was pushing 98-100% GPU consumption on both cards. Those results are in the making now.
Wrapping up, increasing the fan speed on SLI and NVLink setups is an obvious one and a move that will net you some more performance and in some cases up to 10% more which is a big win for an already high-end setup.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Fan Speed on NVLink/SLI]
- Page 2 [New AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Testbed]
- Page 3 [Cards Used: RTX 2080 Ti NVLink + GTX 1080 Ti SLI]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sony won't abandon singleplayer story-driven games on PS5
- The Vex are coming in Destiny 2 Shadowkeep's Season of the Undying
- PS4 gets exclusive Modern Warfare 2v2 alpha access
- Death Stranding's fetus tank babies explained
- Fry's Electronics stores soon to close, seeing same fate as Toys'R'Us?
- z390 phantom gaming-itx/ac buzzing from mb
- ASUS ProArt PA34VC Review: Professional-Grade UltraWide Perfection
- Corsair HS35 Stereo Gaming Headset Review
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Xtreme (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- Animoca secures deal with Versus Systems to drive in-game revenue and player engagement
- Viotek Launches LinQ Portable Touchscreen Monitors
- SK hynix Unveils 'Gold S31' Consumer Solid-State Drive on Amazon
- Final Assault coming to PSVR in Q4 2019
- Veteran Video Games Industry Leader Kate Edwards Joins Global Game Jam as Executive Director