You cannot please everyone! We try to please as many people as possible with our articles but there is no denying that we just cannot please everyone. A common comment that pops up in our articles is why are we using an Athlon X2-3800+? We don't use it because it's all that AMD gave us but because we went and purchased multiple processors for our testing labs and the X2 3800+ was the best bang for buck.
Today we are going to compare the FX-60 and X2 3800+ against each other. We know now that the FX-60 is going to be the faster processor but what we want to have a look at how much extra performance we get, from such an expensive processor. We are going to be purely looking at graphics card performance and why you might ask? The answer to that is easy, because 90% of the time when we test a high-end card, the complaints attack these articles as to why we are using a $300 processor on a $1200 graphics card setup.
Thanks to our good friends at Gigabyte here in Australia, we have got ourselves an FX-60 and a pair of GeForce 7900GTX cards. We had a look at performance of the 7900GTX's on the FX-60 the other day in an article and we were impressed.
The Basic Differences
We are not going to look at the processors in depth or anything but just a simple look at what the basic differences are between each CPU:
Price: FX-60 comes in at a massive $1011 while the X2 3800+ costs a more respectable $295.
Speed: FX-60 and X2 3800+ are both Dual Core processors. The FX-60 is clocked at 2.6GHz and the X2 3800+ is clocked at 2GHz.
Cache: The amount of cache impacts prices of processors and as expected the FX-60 has more with 2MB included while the X2 3800+ only has 1MB.
Apart from these three main differences, the processors use the same technology like SSE, SSE 2 and SSE3 along with 3DNOW! technology.
Let's have a look at our test setup and get straight into the benchmarks.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and The Differences]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark03]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- World of Warcraft expansion 'Battle for Azeroth' releases
- FromSoftware release Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice screenshots
- Capcom/Valve to fix Monster Hunter: World connection errors
- Marvel's Spider-Man gameplay launch trailer unveiled early
- Nintendo smashes Sony in total hardware sales: 700 million+
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- RAID 0 on a really old Motherboard
- Z97-UD5H-BK: Modded BIOS for NVME support
- Buy (10 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $1,300
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution
- NVIDIA to Collaborate with DARPA to Develop Systems for Post-Moore's Law Era
- New Turing-Based Design Revolutionizes Workflow of Millions of Designers and Artists on the Desktop and in the Datacenter
- Hybrid Rendering Fundamentally Changes Computer Graphics by Fusing Real-Time Ray Tracing, AI, Simulation and Rasterization
- AMD Launches World's Most Powerful Desktop Processor: Bigger, Better 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper Processors Break Boundaries of High-End Desktop Market