We pulled our fastest portable and desktop external SSDs to compare to the Samsung Portable SSD X5. This includes two NVMe-based portable SSDs, the HP P800, and TEKQ Rapide.
Thunderbolt isn't the only high-speed game in town. USB 3.1 Gen 2 delivers 10Gbps performance and comes standard on more systems. Drives like the SanDisk Extreme 900 Portable SSD utilize two SATA SSDs in RAID to maximize the bandwidth available.
Single-drive USB's like the Samsung Portable SSD T5 maximize value. Samsung's mainstream 2TB T5 sells for $100 less than the 1TB X5 we're testing today.
The Samsung Portable X5 leverages Samsung's strong V-NAND to deliver class-leading read performance. Most users will transfer videos, pictures, or other large block size files to these drives. Windows breaks those data blocks down into 128KB sized blocks and transfers them sequentially to and from the drive.
The Portable SSD X5 has some competition writing data from the TEKQ Rapide in our write speed test. The Rapide has a capacity disadvantage; TEKQ limited the size to 960GB for the largest model. It also uses an open-air metal heat sink design, so the outside case can get extremely hot under large data transfers.
Full LBA Span Performance
With a single large block size data transfer, the Samsung Portable SSD X5 moves files at 1,500 MB/s from the drive and 1,100 MB/s to the drive. There is a dip in write speed when you fill the TurboWrite buffer (SLC programmed cache).
Users reading or writing more than one transfer at the same time will benefit from the NVMe protocol's high-speed that scales with the workload.
File Transfer Tests
In real-world use, the Samsung Portable SSD X5 outperforms the other drives in two of the three tests. The two wins come in the long tests with the most data to transfer. The Blu-Ray Transfer test uses the ISO file from a popular movie that is just under 50GB. The Game Direct Transfer test comes from the installation files from rFactor 2.0 and uses a mix of small and large block sizes.
The Portable SSD X5 is competitive in this test but trails the two other NVMe-based portable SSDs. The Backup Director test is a collection of files found in an old 'My Documents' folder with a size of 15.2GB. It uses a mix of large block size files like pictures and web optimized videos, but also has several small block size files like text and Word documents. The X5 again outperforms the other drives in this test but the performance is very close to the other NVMe-based drives.
The real-world transfer tests show us how Samsung optimized the Portable SSD X5 for creator file types and didn't just stuff enclosures with 970 EVOs.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem made $3.5 million in microtransactions
- Nintendo's top 10 best-selling Indie titles on the Switch
- Official Assassin's Creed III Remastered PC specs revealed
- Streamer beats 5 Soulsborne games with no hits by enemies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Cuphead's should join the roster
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced