Intel's latest platform launches - The Chipset
Now we get to what controls the board, the new Intel 975X chipset. The chip is a two part series, like all of the chipsets from Intel. It's very unlikely we will see single chip unless a Northbridge is integrated into the Intel CPU in the future.
The block diagram shows Intel's layout of what and how the 975X supports and how it is connected. The Dual PCI-E X16 slots are routed off the Northbridge to either a single x16 slot or two x8 slots. The DDR-2 memory controller is also located on the Northbridge and has been tweaked to work with the latest DDR2-800 memory (though there is no official support for this yet). One of the major triumphs of the 975X Northbridge is that Intel has worked with ATI to achieve official support for Crossfire Dual Graphics. That's right, if you plan to go ATI Crossfire; 975X supports this and it is incorporated into the latest Catalyst drivers on the web. Intel hasn't been granted SLI certification yet and we aren't sure if this will happen, as nVidia already makes its own Intel Pentium 4 chipsets for SLI, but these have been problematic with supporting the Pentium XE chips in the past.
The Southbridge is the same ICH7R used on the 955 and 945 series chipsets. This includes two SATA-II controllers supporting four SATA 2.5 ports, Azalia High Definition Audio, 6 PCI Express lanes, one IDE controller, 6 PCI Masters and 8 Hi Speed USB 2.0 ports. The link connecting the chips is Intel's Direct Media Interconnect operating at 2GB/s.
The Intel board uses two passively cooled heatsinks to disperse the heat from the chipset. One rather large one on the Northbridge and a smaller low profile one on the Southbridge.
Intel has now started to jazz up even their desktop boards with additional features. Since the ICH7 series only has a single IDE controller and the four SATA ports on the Southbridge can be used up pretty quick, Intel has added a Silicon Image SIL3114 PCI SATA controller chip. This chip uses the older SATA-150, so despite the SATA-II ports at the bottom of the board that are connected to the chip, you will only get SATA-150 speeds out of it. Another limitation of the chip is it uses the PCI bus to connect, which when using RAID can eat up all or just about all of the PCI bandwidth.
Firewire is now a household name with a lot of products using the standard, like Apple Ipod, DV cameras and external HDD storage boxes. To that end a Texas Instruments PCI based IEEE-1394 chip is added to give two Firewire-400 ports. One is located on the back I/O, the other needs to be connected to a header bracket or to a front panel case Firewire port.
Lastly we come to Intel's latest Gigabit Ethernet controller, the Tacoma. This new chip is a 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet PCI-Express x1 based chip. This chip is also a part of gaining Intel ViiV certification, which we will cover when our ViiV system arrives at our labs.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Dual Core in Detail]
- Page 3 [The New Motherboard]
- Page 4 [The New Chipset]
- Page 5 [Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Super PI]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Can I install a Soundblaster THX TruStudio Pro Snd Crd in my GA-170X-Gaming 7 MoBo?
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X Review
- FSP CMT510 RGB Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit