How flexible should big names like Activision be in regards to lootboxes? Do they have to be willing to bend in public favor to appease CoD WWII gamers, or do they continue doing business as usual? If they care about image and active user numbers, typically the former.
"Right, [they do need to listen to fans]. I think Activision tested the waters with Overwatch, and I don't hear a lot of people complaining about lootboxes in Overwatch because they provide new content for the game. And they're also not mandatory in order to play the game," Elena said. Microtransactions that are cosmetic in nature are often seen as acceptable, and games like Overwatch and Path of Exile embrace these models versus offering piecemeal or lootbox-based items that have tangible affects on gameplay.
"It all comes down to how well they can balance the content they offer in-game versus that in lootboxes [cosmetics can help]. They have to ensure their fans can be forgiving if they don't get it right at once. At this point we'll have to wait to see what Activision does with CoD WWII and how the game works long-term."
SuperData also provided their predictions on Activision's fiscal Q4'17 earnings in the digital games segment. The firm expects revenues to jump by 20% year-over-year, and expects Call of Duty WWII to sell about 3 million units in the month of November alone.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Activision cut jobs to focus on monetization as well as dev
- Anthem's epic skins cost $8.50 a piece
- Crackdown 3 only exists to sell Game Pass subscriptions
- Apex Legends turning their son transsexual, says parents
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Switch, motion control support
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock Multi-Gigabit Performance: 10GbE/5GbE/2.5G Networking
- Very odd boot behavior on three identical x399 Taichi builds.
- G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000MHz 32GB Memory Kit Review
- Asrock A97x Killer and Evga 980TI help
- New Screenshots for ShaRkPG, Maneater | PC Version to Support NVIDIA Ansel Technology
- The world's first judicial friendship simulator takes to Kickstarter in Supreme Courtship!
- Cupid hits Ring of Elysium with Valentine's Day event
- New Gameplay Video for World-Shaping RTS Bannermen Released
- Nokia launches Cognitive Collaboration Hubs to help operators design 5G networks and create AI-enabled use cases