Internal Power Optimizations
One way to extend battery life is to increase battery size or density, but since people don't like to lug around ten-pound bricks, vendors increasing want lower power processors. AMD has gone ahead, and optimized power consumption on the new processors and they have aimed for a 2X improvement in battery life. We see a 2X improvement with VP9 playback (like YouTube) compared to the previous generation.
AMD has gone ahead and produced a CPU that only requires a single input, much like Intel's FIVR, but with linear regulators. A single VDD (like VCore or VCC, stands for Voltage Drain to Drain) output goes to internal regulators that then provide different domains with different voltage and current levels. The onboard voltage regulator utilizes digital LDO. While we are talking about big regions here such as the CCX or Vega, there are also many sub-regions as well that can be power gated for a max current reduction of 36%.
AMD has also included per-core frequency and voltage control. The new systems will move power where it is needed and doesn't threat all cores equally. We can see that this per core frequency and voltage control works to optimize power efficiency based on core-to-core and CPU-to-GPU utilization. That means that when the GPU is high in demand, the CPU cores will give up some power to the GPU and then they will take it back when required, on a case by case basis for each core.
Power savings modes are also extremely important for a mobile CPU, as is the ability to come back from a sleeping state. Each core can enter CC6 (C0 is awake) on its own, and the CPU and GPU and be turned off. The integrated linear regulators are to thank for this capability, and 95% of the GPU can be powered down or even 100%. It doesn't stop there though, AMD added a dual region approach to power gating in the Infinity Fabric. Communications between different regions in a SoC can be power intensive, but AMD has found a way to basically disable one part while leaving another open. An example is a display refresh, and during the refresh, not all blocks need to communicate, so only one key set is enabled allowing all that should communicate to communicate while shutting down communications between others that don't need to be on.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introducing the Ryzen 7 2700U and Ryzen 5 2500U]
- Page 2 [Introducing Precision Boost 2 and Mobile XFR]
- Page 3 [With Radeon Vega Graphics]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Atari VCS power may be more like Switch than Xbox, PS4
- Cyberpunk 2077 on track to release by 2021 with new AAA RPG
- The Witcher 3 is a sales revenue monster
- Titan Quest arrives on consoles
- Switch has highest 12-month install base in US history
- Transcend JetDrive 825 SSD Upgrade Kit for MacBook Review
- GA-B85M-D3PH Modded Bios set VCore above 1.2
- 1st PCIe slot (x16) only works at x2 with my Aorus 1080Ti...
- ADATA XPG Spectrix D40 RGB DDR4-3000 16GB Review
- (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $12,980
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit