X399 Chipset, Another Win
This is an area where Intel has, until now, had absolute dominance: chipsets. AMD has not had a chipset that has been enthusiast worthy for years, almost back to the nForce 2 days (NVIDIA chipset on AMD motherboards - if you can believe it).
AMD changes the chipset game with Whitehaven or their new X399 platform. AMD announced their new X399 chipset and Ryzen ThreadRipper CPUs at Computex last month, with X399 offering up to 64 PCIe 3.0 lanes, quad-channel DDR4 support, up to 8 x DIMMs, and so much more.
Intel's current HEDT platform only supports 44 PCIe 3.0 lanes, meaning AMD is offering 20 more PCIe lanes with X399 over Intel's troubled new X299 platform. Heck, if we look at the 6/8-core Core i7 parts - which have just 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes (X399 has 40 more PCIe 3.0 lanes at that point) and a huge 48 more PCIe lanes when compared to Kaby Lake X.
AMD really ramps things up from their current-gen Ryzen processors that offer 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes, meaning multi-GPU enthusiasts like myself are left out in the cold if we want to go 2-way GPU and multiple M.2 SSDs. ThreadRipper and X399 change that with a huge 64 PCIe 3.0 lanes, something Intel will have to wait through to 2018 and beyond to compete against. Soz, Intel - maybe you need some more glue?
Should You Upgrade?
This is going to be the big question, as people are going to want to upgrade to the latest Ryzen ThreadRipper from AMD just because of another giant leap in CPU dominance from the company.
But do you really need to? Let's talk about that.
Are you a gamer? This would break into multiple parts. Have you got a 2/4-core CPU? Go for the Ryzen 5/7 processors, unless you want the power of the X399 chipset. You might want to get a Ryzen 7 1800X for example, mixed with a single graphics card - but if you have higher requirements like 2 x Radeon RX Vega or 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti... then the X399 chipset is what you want.
Are you a video editor? YES. This is where AMD is going to kill it: video/photo production and content creation in general. This is a market completely dominated by Intel and their high-end Core i7/i9 processors, but that dominance is coming to an end with Ryzen ThreadRipper.
Are you an enthusiast? YES! This is what Ryzen ThreadRipper and the X399 platform is all about. I'm an enthusiast and will be all over Ryzen ThreadRipper and X399, this is what this entire article is all about. AMD is delivering a new high-end platform like we haven't seen from the company since its acquisition of ATI back in 2006.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
Latest News Posts
- The Joker director hints at sequel 'I would do anything with Joaquin'
- GameStop lays off 120 staff members, 14% off total staff eliminated
- Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord sticks a landing on Steam, March 2020
- The One Punch Man game forces players to stall until Saitama arrives
- World's first real-world quantum network built with brand new protocol
- Synology DS620slim Six-Bay SFF NAS Review
- LaCie Rugged RAID Shuttle Review
- Pengo USB-C Dock Review
- Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.3 F12 to UEFI
- Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.3 F12 to UEFI
- Yubico Launches the World's First Lightning-Compatible Security Key, the YubiKey 5Ci
- Monkey King: Hero Is Back Pre-Orders Now Open on Steam
- Lionsgate and Bloober Team Release New Blair Witch 'Insanity' Story Trailer
- PINBRAWLER CREATURE IN THE WELL PRE-ORDERS NOW LIVE GAME LAUNCHES SEPTEMBER 6
- NEW DATING SIM GAME ANNOUNCED: NOW WITH 100% MORE DOGS You'll want to get your paws on this one On Valentine's Day, 2020