We got our first look at Phison's PS3111-S11 SSD controller, or S11, as we will refer to it going forward, at CES earlier this year. We didn't pay much attention after we were informed that the S11 is only a two-channel controller, and would typically power DRAM-less solutions. We did like the fact that the S11 is Phison's first controller to support LDPC (Low Density Parity Correction) error correction, but didn't expect it would deliver performance that would be more than something we would yawn at. Well, we are at full attention after having the privilege of testing some early engineering samples.
The two engineering samples we briefly tested are packed with firsts for the review community. This is the first time (as far as we know) that anyone in the review community has tested Phison's two-channel S11 SSD controller. This is also the first time (as far as we know) that anyone in the review community has tested a Toshiba 48-layer BiCS Gen 2 TLC flash array. Additionally, this is the first time (as far as we know) that anyone in the review community has tested a Micron 3D MLC flash array. A huge thanks to Phison Electronics for this opportunity.
Phison S11 SSD Controller Specs
Phison's S11 single-core SSD controller supports the full gambit of current and forth coming flash technologies. The power sipping two-channel controller is capable of going DRAM-less for lower production cost and super low power consumption. Even in a DRAM-less configuration, S11-powered SSDs are capable of 95K/85K random read/write IOPS. LDPC error correction ensures extended NAND endurance and reliability.
Toshiba BiCS Gen 2 3D NAND Flash
One of the drives we are testing employs Toshiba's BiCS Gen 2 3D TLC (3-bit per cell) flash. As previously mentioned, this is the first time this flash has been tested by the review community as far as we know. BiCS Gen 2 3D flash is a 48-layer design that offers increased performance, endurance, and density over planar TLC. Additionally, BiCS is more power efficient than planar flash. In a nutshell, Toshiba's BiCS flash is superior too planar flash in every way.
Micron 3D NAND Flash
The other drive we are testing is-powered by Micron's new 3D MLC (2-bit per cell) flash. Again, as far as we know, this is the first time a Micron 3D MLC flash array has been tested by the review community. Micron's 32-layer 3D flash is the first 3D NAND flash to use a floating gate cell. Micron feels that using this proven technology ultimately increases the quality and reliability of their 3D flash. Micron employs a unique CMOS under array design which reduces the die size to enable the highest Gb/mm2 densities on the market today.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System and Settings]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks – CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (Trace-Based) - PCMark Vantage & PCMark 8]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Max IOPS, Disk Response & Transfer Rates]
- Page 8 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Square Enix to double down on service games
- Nintendo 64 Classic Edition likely on the way
- Anthem's early play trials are paygated
- Roar for 'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' Blu-ray giveaway
- MyDigtialSSD ships BPX Pro and lowers prices
- صيانة كريازى مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجة كريازى الت
- صيانة جنرال اليكتريك مصر 0235700994 | توكيل ثلاجات ج
- صيانة كلفينيتور مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجات كلفين
- Battery Issue
- Crucial BX500 SSD Review - Fewer Components, Lower Prices
- Kensington Unveils LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Dock with K-Fob Smart Lock
- Crashbots is coming to Steam on the 9th of October!
- Linksys Launches High Performance, Enterprise-grade Cloud Networking Management For SMB Networks Without Licensing Fees
- BIOSTAR Presents Professional Crypto Mining Motherboards
- Animoca Brands partners with OpenST Limited to develop blockchain-powered games