5GB Pocket Drive
Seagate's new line of palm-sized USB "Hi-Speed" (2.0) pocket drives come in sizes of 2.5GB and 5GB. Different from typical pen drives, the Seagate pocket drive is not solid state storage (in other words, doesn't use writeable memory) but an actual hard drive.
The hard drive spins at a virtually silent 3,600 RPM and includes 2MB of cache to help boost performance. Even with the drive held close to your ear, not a sound could be heard - dead silent. Given these facts, this pocket drive is not your typical pen drive type device and should perform much better in terms of read and write speeds. We'll take a closer look at this shortly.
As we said, the pocket drive connects to your computer via USB 2.0 which is capable of transfer speeds up to 480 Mbps (around 60MB/s). The USB cable is retractable and curls up inside the drive, making it seem even more like a yoyo. The clear center part of the unit includes a blue LED which flashes when the drive is active, which is another nice touch.
The unit itself is made of tough plastic and feels quite solid and like it wouldn't break if it were dropped on the ground. In fact, Seagate are making big claims about the durability of the drive if dropped saying the shell absorbs the majority of the shock - we didn't try any drop tests though and we wouldn't recommend using it as a soccer ball as you're still working with a device with moving parts.
The good thing about this drive is that it only uses up to 5 volts of power which means an external power adapter is not required since the USB port can provide all the power it needs. Weight of the drive is a non-issue as it only weighs 2.2 oz which is only a little heavier than a large cigarette lighter.
The 5GB "yoyo" pocket drive from Seagate is an interesting product which is certainly unique in design and works well for what it was intended. While bigger than all other pen drives, you do get around 150% more storage space than the largest traditional pen drives which are around 2GB in size at the moment. 5GB of storage is enough to hold around 1,700 MP3's or over 12,000 digital images and at least half a dozen full length movies.
As far as pricing is concerned, the cost isn't too bad at all. At the time of writing on our price comparison website the Seagate 5GB drive costs between $129 - $180 USD (up to about $230 AUD) and a Corsair 2GB pen drive will cost you between $124 - $192 USD (up to about $250 AUD). It is clear to see Seagate has set pricing very competitively and for around $130 USD, you are getting a pretty good deal on your money as far as we are concerned.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit