Running a bit late this month it seems we see the latest release of the ATI Catalyst drivers come out today.
As usual it will go through our normal array of benchmarking to see what the latest release has done for us in terms of performance.
Before we get into the benchmarking of the driver though we will have a quick look at what ATI have promised us in the new release.
Released Notes from ATI
3DMark05: Running the application under Windows XP for extended periods of time no longer results in the operating system failing to respond when using an ATI Radeon X700 PRO
Ashli Viewer sample Wood: Display corruption is no longer noticed when Anisotropic Filtering set to 4x or above
Ashli Viewer v1.6.0: Running the application under Windows 2000 and launching a sample item found in the Programs & Shaders no longer results in corruption being displayed in the sample item
City of Heros: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series installed no longer results in the characters in the game appearing corrupted
Freedom force VS The 3rd Reich: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI Radeon 8500 installed no longer results in the super hero character attributes appearing blank
Imperial Glory Demo: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI Radeon X800 installed no longer results in the game failing to respond
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: Setting the graphic option in the Catalyst Control Center to Optimal Quality, followed by launching the game and setting the resolution option to 1600x1200, no longer results in a performance drop being noticed
Star Wars Knights of the old republic: Loading the Dantooine level of the game under Windows XP no longer results in slow game performance
Setting the desktop display to 800x600 or 1600x1200 16/32bpp no longer results in the incorrect display resolution information being provided when checking the video control panel in the Catalyst Control Center
Setting the display device to 1080i no longer results in the text on the custom format being illegible
Setting a customized resolution for 720p now works properly when maintaining the aspect ratio
Moving the TV to desktop2 and selecting swap device or double up no longer results in the CRT being in panning mode and display corruption being seen on the TV
Having a TV connected as the only display device and clicking the OK button in the ATI displays tab found in the Advanced section of the Display Properties results in a flash of the TV image being noticed
Connecting and enabling an HDTV and entering the properties page for the HDTV no longer results in the D3/D4 options being available in the D-Connector Control Panel
The occasional Windows error messages no longer occurs when booting into extended desktop under Windows XP when using an ATI Radeon X300 or X600
Corruption is no longer seen when connecting a secondary display device and moving the primary display device to the left of the secondary device, followed by disconnecting the primary display device and then reconnecting it
Previewing or launching the aquarium screen saver under Windows XP Media Center Edition no longer results in the operating system failing to respond
RF online game compatibility issue with all ATI Radeon series
Launching the Catalyst Control Center help files from the Start->All Programs->Catalyst Control Center now results in the localized version of the help file being displayed
Catalyst Control Center: Running the French custom install no longer results in a NewFeature1 component being listed
The link found in the second and third help page for the Change Desktop Settings found in the Japanese version of the Catalyst Control Center no longer cross-references to an incorrect help page
A black screen is no longer displayed when launching AMCap and attempting to view video from the tuner when using either the svideo or composite inputs
Display corruption is no longer noticed on the TV when setting the TV format to PAL-B and attempting to adjust the flicker removal in the TV Advanced option
Having a TV and CRT connected and clicking on Preview Automatic adjustment in the Optimize Media Center no longer results in both display devices displaying a black screen
Now we've seen the changes in the driver, let's move onto the benchmarks.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Catalyst 5.5 Performance - Page 1 [Introduction and Release Notes]
- Catalyst 5.5 Performance - Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark2001 SE]
- Catalyst 5.5 Performance - Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03 and 3DMark05]
- Catalyst 5.5 Performance - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Catalyst 5.5 Performance - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Catalyst 5.5 Performance - Page 6 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Catalyst 5.5 Performance - Page 7 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel M.2 Optane SSD 905P Appears On Newegg
- Soulcalibur VI physical sales crater, the rise of digital
- Dynasty Warriors 9 online and local co-op update/demo Nov 1
- CD Projekt RED's Thronebreaker - 'No plans' for Switch debut
- Starlink: Battle for Atlas - 82% of unit sales on Switch
- Samsung Bar Plus 256GB Flash Drive Review
- Buffalo Linkstation 520 2-Bay NAS Review
- How To Find Out Motherboard?
- I'm in a gaming rut please help.
- GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Master (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Palit introduces the reinvented GeForce RTX 2070 Dual
- Cooler Master Unveils the C700P Carbon
- EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 - Now Available for Order
- SP Launches New Pocket-Sized Power Banks
- Tesla vs Lovecraft Pre-Orders Start on iOS - Release date is 25th Oct