We Need a Reason to Own Multiple GPUs; VR???
Alright, I've provided my case. Right now, multi-GPU setups suck. They're cumbersome, require too much configuration, testing, hair being pulled out - and most of all, money. Multiple video cards are super expensive, and with that money should come peace of mind - but it doesn't.
You spend more money, to spend more time, on an experience that should be better - not worse, where you're forced to disable one of your expensive video cards so the game will even work. Sure, NVIDIA and AMD sometimes have day one drivers ready for whichever game has just launched, but it's rarely perfect.
During my testing, I had countless problems trying to get SLI and Crossfire working in new games. Furthermore, I never received anywhere near 100% scaling - which is a huge problem. If you don't know what "scaling" means when it comes to multiple video cards, here's a quick lesson:
If you have one card, you'll be using 100% of your video cards available horsepower. If you add another card, you want to see another 100% being used (thus, double the performance). But, you don't - most of the time you'll receive somewhere between 20-60% scaling, which means you're getting around, and sometimes less than 1.5x performance - for having 2x the GPU power.
During my time working in IT retail, I sold custom gaming PCs for a living. I always said to consumers wanting SLI/CF rigs that they would be spending "100% more money on another video card, for 20-60% more performance" - which always had people thinking. If you're dumping another entire video card in the system, you system be getting another 100% performance - but you don't.
It's not perfect, and this isn't NVIDIA or AMD's fault - sure, they could help - but their hands are tied behind their backs, with game developers mostly at fault. Game developers - and I mean virtually everyone, you're all pathetic. You've sold your souls for consoles, and now high-end PCs are suffering - except Oculus and HTC are here to save the day with VR gaming. That last bit was a bit alarming, but this is how I feel.
Sure, not everyone has an enthusiast PC, but that's like saying that huge Hollywood movies shouldn't have the best special effects - just, cos. Alternatively, whinging because expensive cars are expensive. Enthusiasts are a huge part of the PC, and thus, they should be treated well with increased support for multi-GPU setups.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Intro & Multi-GPU Technology, Born In 1998]
- Page 2 [The Technology Now, is More Than Awesome]
- Page 3 [Next-Gen Displays @ 240Hz+ and VR Headsets]
- Page 4 [Why We Don't Need Multiple GPUs Right Now]
- Page 5 [What Do Our Friends Think & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook stock drops $50 billion in two days, biggest ever
- GeForce 391.24 WHQL drivers: Game Ready for Sea of Thieves
- The Matrix launches on 4K Blu-ray on May 22
- GIGABYTE releases RX 580 Gaming Box, portable mining box!!
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit