Shadows are important, too
I still remember the days of turning shadows off in games because of the performance hit, but now we're mostly past those days and have entered an era of super realistic shadows. GameWorks 3.1 ushers in high fidelity shadows courtesy of HFTS.
Normal shadows look good for the most part, but they're hard - the shadows projected make it look like the light source is right behind the tree.
But, this isn't realistic. The shadows should be softer the further away the shadow extends, which is something HFTS does.
HTFS provides much software shadows the further the light source is away, with NVIDIA using The Division as a great example of stellar HFTS use.
The future of GameWorks, NVIDIA teases through to March 2017
Don't you love it? NVIDIA has just unveiled GameWorks 3.1, but we're already expecting big things in June, September, December and even March 2017.
In June, we can expect 3.1 updates with additional goods released to GitHub. In September, NVIDIA will unveil GameWorks 3.2, and in December, there will be updates for GameWorks 3.2 released. Fast forwarding to March 2017, NVIDIA tells us to "stay tuned", and yes - yes we will.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & New Technologies in GameWorks SDK 3.1]
- Page 2 [New Technologies, including Light and Shadow]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Lord of the Rings 'Tolkien' biopic movie gets release date
- New Anthem gameplay details: story, progress & customizing
- VLC media player passes 3b downloads, headed for Switch/PS4
- Dead Cells moves 100,000 units within its Switch launch week
- Become a god in SMITE's launch trailer for Nintendo Switch
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Western Digital Black SN750 SSD Review
- Trident Z Royal DDR4-4000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media