Shadows are important, too
I still remember the days of turning shadows off in games because of the performance hit, but now we're mostly past those days and have entered an era of super realistic shadows. GameWorks 3.1 ushers in high fidelity shadows courtesy of HFTS.
Normal shadows look good for the most part, but they're hard - the shadows projected make it look like the light source is right behind the tree.
But, this isn't realistic. The shadows should be softer the further away the shadow extends, which is something HFTS does.
HTFS provides much software shadows the further the light source is away, with NVIDIA using The Division as a great example of stellar HFTS use.
The future of GameWorks, NVIDIA teases through to March 2017
Don't you love it? NVIDIA has just unveiled GameWorks 3.1, but we're already expecting big things in June, September, December and even March 2017.
In June, we can expect 3.1 updates with additional goods released to GitHub. In September, NVIDIA will unveil GameWorks 3.2, and in December, there will be updates for GameWorks 3.2 released. Fast forwarding to March 2017, NVIDIA tells us to "stay tuned", and yes - yes we will.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & New Technologies in GameWorks SDK 3.1]
- Page 2 [New Technologies, including Light and Shadow]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Blizzard announces full Overwatch League teams
- NieR: Automata shipped and sold over 2 million copies
- New Red Dead Redemption 2 updates coming next week
- Vivendi may take over Ubisoft in November
- AMD Radeon RX Vega 32, RX Vega 28 rumored to be coming
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM