Shadows are important, too
I still remember the days of turning shadows off in games because of the performance hit, but now we're mostly past those days and have entered an era of super realistic shadows. GameWorks 3.1 ushers in high fidelity shadows courtesy of HFTS.
Normal shadows look good for the most part, but they're hard - the shadows projected make it look like the light source is right behind the tree.
But, this isn't realistic. The shadows should be softer the further away the shadow extends, which is something HFTS does.
HTFS provides much software shadows the further the light source is away, with NVIDIA using The Division as a great example of stellar HFTS use.
The future of GameWorks, NVIDIA teases through to March 2017
Don't you love it? NVIDIA has just unveiled GameWorks 3.1, but we're already expecting big things in June, September, December and even March 2017.
In June, we can expect 3.1 updates with additional goods released to GitHub. In September, NVIDIA will unveil GameWorks 3.2, and in December, there will be updates for GameWorks 3.2 released. Fast forwarding to March 2017, NVIDIA tells us to "stay tuned", and yes - yes we will.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & New Technologies in GameWorks SDK 3.1]
- Page 2 [New Technologies, including Light and Shadow]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA TITAN V teardown reveals beautiful GV100 GPU
- Litecoin doubles in price to $317, isn't slowing down at all
- Ethereum reaches a new record high price of $637
- Hideo Kojima talks new Death Stranding details
- Bungie keeps Destiny 1 era rotating content lockout
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus New 64GB SM-G955UZKAXAA $824
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers Detailed
- 2 GPU on AB350 Gaming K4
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series