GameWorks SDK 3.1 adds new lighting and shadow technologies with volumetric lighting, voxel accelerated ambient occlusion, and high fidelity shadows.
Looking at volumetric lighting, it creates much more realistic lighting in a game with the volumetric lighting offered on GeForce video cards looking absolutely beautiful - if the game supports it, that is. In something like Fallout 4, volumetric lighting goes a very long way to making the entire scene look more realistic.
NVIDIA goes to great lengths to make GameWorks the best it can be, offering physically scattered light into GameWorks 3.1. What this does is harness the atmosphere of microparticles that reflect or refract passing rays, for ultra-realistic lighting.
VXAO might just sound like four letters that don't mean much, but it's the highest quality ambient occlusion solution available to PC gamers, and it looks great in games like Rise of the Tomb Raider.
The world-space algorithm provides better image quality, smoother response to camera motion, finer details, and greater accuracy than screen-space solutions. VXAO works on both DX11 and DX12, too.
The difference between screen-space AO channel and VXAO is massive, with the perfect comparison below.
SSAO vs. VXAO
NVIDIA provided some screenshots of Rise of the Tomb Raider, comparing SSAO against VXAO so that you can see the difference. It's subtle, but it really adds to the scene overall. Check out these screenshots:
Starting with no AO, the scene looks okay - but only because it's the first screenshot and this is establishing a baseline. Next, we'll take a look at SSAO.
With SSAO enabled in Rise of the Tomb Raider, the shadowing on both the characters looks vastly improved.
Finally, with VXAO enabled, we can see it's decent jump from SSAO - the shadows are much darker and more detailed. You can see that the shadows underneath the character laying on the snow are definitely more pronounced.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & New Technologies in GameWorks SDK 3.1]
- Page 2 [New Technologies, including Light and Shadow]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Thermaltake reveal the Versa H18 Window Micro case
- GIGABYTE's new X399 Designare EX motherboard looks GREAT
- Need for Speed: Payback teased at 4K on GTX 1080 Ti
- AMD is making a self-driving AI processor for Tesla
- Fortnite has a PUBG-style Battle Royale game mode coming
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- A Look at AMD's Threadripper CPU Hardware Modes
- Plextor M8Se 256GB & 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- ad240ehdgmbox on m3a785gmh/128m mainboard?
- 8K benched: RX Vega 64 vs. GTX 1080 Ti vs. TITAN Xp SLI
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower