Summary of the Chipset
- The Motherboard
As you would expect the reference board isn't anything to be excited about and does look quite plain as you can see in the pictures below. Reference motherboards usually means nothing but headaches when it comes to getting your results as quite often there are little bugs that make it difficult to setup. Apart from a few minor hiccups in the beginning, once the board was up and running it ran like an absolute breeze - we were that confident in the reference motherboard that we even decided to overclock, which we will look at later on.
As you can see in the specification page you receive everything we have come to expect from nVidia - 1066 FSB support, Native Gigabit Networking, Active Armor, Media Shield, SATA2 support for upcoming drives, 16x PCI Express configurable for SLI and a brand new memory controller which we are going to examine shortly.
- Media Shield
Media Shield offers a lot of the same technologies we see on the AMD version of the nForce 4. With it Intel users receive NCQ or Native Command Queuing, SATA2 which offers twice as much bandwidth (300MB/s), RAID 5, 0, 1 and 0+1 and one of my personal favorite technologies Disk Alert System.
Disk Alert System is great if you have multiple hard drives running on the nVidia controller and one happens to die, it tells you which SATA port the drive is connected to making this an EXCELLENT feature for servers as this can really help with the time it takes to fault find.
- Active Armor
Active Armor is also present in the NF4 IE which is a hardware firewall built into the core logic of the chipset. Using less CPU power you are able to get the same advantages that a hardware solution would offer like a router without the extra cost.
- New Software for Intel
While some manufacturers do make overclocking software for some Intel chipsets, there has never been any decent Windows overclocking software.
When nTune hit the streets, nVidia made a big song and dance about it for a very good reason - it was what people wanted and can be ran across the line of nVidia. Intel now has the exact same software thanks to the NF4 IE chipset. You now have the ability to adjust FSB, GPU core and memory speeds as well as monitor system temperatures all at the touch of a button.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 1 [Introduction]
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 2 [Technical Specifications]
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 3 [Summary of the Chipset]
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 4 [New Memory Technology]
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 5 [New Memory Technology Continued]
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 7 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra 2005]
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 9 [Benchmarks - USB and HDD Performance]
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Series]
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Tekken 7 smashes 3 million sales worldwide
- Atari 2600 handheld retro-izes holiday season
- Battlefield V goes GOLD, with DICE prepared for November 19
- NVIDIA quietly intros new GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5X
- PS4 exclusive Days Gone delayed to April 2019
- Akitio Thunder3 Dock Pro Review
- onboard LAN MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00 after BIOS update
- Intel Core i9-9900K 9th Gen Coffee Lake Review
- x79 compatibility with NVNe
- ASRock X399M Taichi Stuck on Splash Screen
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam