If you're an enthusiast PC gamer, it's super expensive. A decent PC is $2000, and can very well hit the $4000-$5000 mark without a problem.
The latest 2560x1440, 144Hz gaming monitors like the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q cost $799 - or if you're like me and you're a 21:9 UltraWide enthusiast - the Acer Predator X34 ramps up to $1290. The upcoming ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q will compete against the Predator X34, at around $1300 also.
So the Oculus Rift is less than an enthusiast QHD panel, but it offers something Aladdin and his girlfriend breaking out their vocal talents in 'A Whole New World'. The Rift opens up an entirely new world of VR gaming, and not the same flat panel gaming we're used to - albeit, at higher resolutions and refresh rates with technologies we've never seen before like NVIDIA's G-Sync and AMD's FreeSync.
So, to sum it up - the Oculus Rift is priced at $599, but so what? Enthusiast PC gaming is expensive - far more expensive than VR gaming. You need a faster PC to handle 2560x1440 @ 144Hz, or 4K @ 60Hz. The PC requirements for the Oculus Rift aren't huge, with a GeForce GTX 970 not being too expensive, especially against the GTX 980 Ti (or two) required for 1440p @ 144Hz / 4K 60Hz.
I think the Rift is going to transform PC gaming as we know it, opening up totally new experiences that just can't be reproduced by an LCD monitor or TV.
The $599 price will hurt some consumers, but with iPhones being $650+ and the latest Galaxy smartphones from Samsung with similar prices, I think Oculus has been quite level headed with a $599 price. The question is, how expensive will the HTC Vive be, considering it rocks Lighthouse controllers and sensors? That's the bigger question.Titan X as a minimum or GTX 970s in SLI. Of course, you can run less powerful GPUs, but you'll be turning details down in most games at this resolution if you want to maintain 100FPS or so.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- [Page 1] Oculus opens up pre-orders for the Rift, priced at $599
- [Page 2] 'Oh, but console gaming is cheaper' - Yeah... No.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Death Stranding creator meets Robert De Niro at Tribeca 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11's Director says '$6440 story' is BULLSH*T
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate overtakes Wii U console sales
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate updated to 3.0.1, no Joker nerfs
- Super Mario Maker 2 pre-order comes with a sketching stylus
- ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha.....blocked mounting hole
- OWC 10Gbe Thunderbolt 3 Review
- did the old ivy bridge overclock issue on z68 boards ever get fixed?
- LED strip always on even after PC off?
- Netgear Orbi Pro Ceiling Review
- Carpe Diem! Imperator: Rome Available Now
- Garth Brooks Makes Mobile Game Debut in Words With Friends, Announces Final Pre-Order Window for The Legacy Collection
- Nexile releases new trailer for Jump King along with release date
- World War Z - The zombie apocalypse is frantic, frightening - and fun - in the World War Z Reaction Trailer!
- Focus Home Interactive Q4 2018 - 2019 Earnings!