OCZ PC-5400 Performance Series
The first set of Dual Channel modules we are taking a look are from OCZ and are part of their Performance Series which come with a copper heat spreader and tight timings compared to cheaper memory in the same range.
I remember the days when OCZ first started with their plain and not terribly exciting memory modules but those days have long gone and OCZ now produce some of the nicest looking modules on the market, in our opinion. The heat spreader isn't light and feels like it will actually help with heat dissipation compared to some other modules which are much lighter. You feel as if you are actually getting something more for your money.
The memory comes in simple retail packaging as you can see from the photo above - Nothing too exciting but effective none-the-less. You can choose either 1GB (2x 512MB) or 2GB (2x 1GB) Dual Channels kits; in this article we used the 1GB kit. At the time of writing the 1GB kit will set you back about $237 US on Newegg.
Above you can see that the OCZ Performance Series PC-5400 modules are rated with timings of 4-4-4-12 but in fact the sticker is incorrect and the memory SPD is set to run at 4-4-4-8 which tightens things up even more. These timings are a good deal tighter than the standards that JEDEC have set out.
Some performance OCZ RAM comes with a feature they call EVP or Extended Voltage Protection which allows you to increase voltage to reach higher clock speeds without fear of loosing your warranty. The standard voltage of these sticks are 1.8V but OCZ state that they can handle voltages up to 2.2V ±5% and still be covered by their Lifetime Warranty.
We had no issues testing the OCZ DDR-2 at 2.2V throughout our entire testing phase which is a great sign especially when it comes to overclocking because at this voltage level it gives you plenty of room to work with compared to other modules which aren't able to run stable with their voltage set this high.
The OCZ memory is looking good so far but let's continue on and see what the other companies have to offer.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 1 [Introduction]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 2 [Background]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 3 [OCZ Performance Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 4 [Corsair XMS Pro]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 5 [Kingston HyperX]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 6 [Overclocking]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 8 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra 2004]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 10 [Benchmarks - ScienceMark 2.0]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 11 [Benchmarks - MP3 Encoding]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Can I install a Soundblaster THX TruStudio Pro Snd Crd in my GA-170X-Gaming 7 MoBo?
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X Review
- FSP CMT510 RGB Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- I'm need help from GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit