It is without doubt that the GeForce 6 family of products from nVidia now covers a wide range of product segments from entry level all the way up to the king of the hill. Currently there are six major families, with sub products under each family which cater for each product segment. We have in the direct line the newly released 6200, the 6600 and the 6800 GPU's all with different specifications but with major technology common among each - that being DirectX 9.0c compliance, Pixel Shader 3.0 engine and support for the latest PCI-E interface.
Before we go directly into our topic of today's article let us explore the GeForce 6 family. At the budget end of the line the 6200 GPU comes in. At the moment we have the 6200 with a 128-bit memory interface and support for a 128MB frame buffer, a 4 Pixel Shader engine and 3 Vertex engines. At the sub line nVidia is expected to have the 6200LE. This new version supports a slower 64-bit memory interface, reducing the price and performance to a very budget card capable of taking on the X300SE from ATI. This series of card is set to only come out on the PCI-Express x16 bus with no plans to migrate into the AGP realm as in this section the FX5200 is taking care of business for nVidia right now.
In the middle we have the 6600 series with two variants. First we have the 6600 core which supports a 128MB 128-bit frame buffer and it is the lowest clocked unit and available in PCI-Express only. The 6600GT is the top of the 6600 line which adds support for SLI (dual graphics cards for PCI-Express only) and increases the speed of the core and memory clock. PCI Express and now AGP variants are available which is what we will be talking about today.
The final core is the 6800 which includes three variants. First off is 6800 standard which uses 12 Pixel and 6 vertex engines, supports up to 265MB of DDR SDRAM on a 256bit bus but SLI is not supported. The 6800GT is the middle of the line. This card increases core and memory clocks, adds support for SLI on PCI Express models and increases the Pixel count to 16. The 6800Ultra is the top dog for nVidia at the moment. It shares the same features as the 6800GT but increases the maximum amount of supported memory to 512MB (though no card has been released with this much memory yet) and increases core and memory clocks some more.
Today we are taking a close look at the nVidia GeForce 6600GT in the AGP form and comparing it to its PCI Express x16 brother (which we took a closer look at here earlier this month) to see just what is has to offer and what has been changed.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- GeForce 6600GT AGP - Page 1 [Introduction]
- GeForce 6600GT AGP - Page 2 [A Closter Look]
- GeForce 6600GT AGP - Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark03]
- GeForce 6600GT AGP - Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- GeForce 6600GT AGP - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- GeForce 6600GT AGP - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- GeForce 6600GT AGP - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2004]
- GeForce 6600GT AGP - Page 8 [Benchmarks - High Quality]
- GeForce 6600GT AGP - Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Diablo III once resembled Diablo II
- Final Fantasy XIV's new expansion is called Shadowbringers
- Cliffy B is done making games
- Devil May Cry TV show coming to Netflix
- Sony skips E3 2019 for PlayStation-centric showcase
- Z77-D3H MB and bizzare boot issue
- HyperX Gaming microSD 128GB Review
- FS:[20Pieces] Apple iPhone XR.Xs.Xs Max 64/256/512GB.$8,980
- Vital Progenix
- ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 with AMD RYZEN 5 2600 CPU will only boot Windows after reset
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions